Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • sadmadalan

England will qualify from the group. Sadly Argentina are not the force they were a couple of years ago. Scotland have some good players, but not enough to cover all the positions and with very little depth. Injuries (and they will happen) will have a huge impact on the team.

Once beyond the group games it comes down to one-off matches. Ask NZ about this stage and this is where it goes wrong. I am expecting NZ to win, but they need Dan Carter to be fit and stay fit. They have quality replacements in every other position, but Carter is so key to the way they play. And his potential replacements get so little game time they have no time to bed down.

Houns

France?

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t think there is the same buzz that happened in 2003

Umm people said that in 2007 and we got to the final. No other team has made two finals in a row.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Umm people said that in 2007 and we got to the final. No other team has made two finals in a row.

In other words, no team has lost more Rugby World Cup Finals than England.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – that says so much about the way some people think 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Ha ha, that is true, but getting to the final is a bit of an achievement, england have actually made it to 3 finals along with australia, kiwis, france and sa have made two finals. The Kiwis and the french have never won, Auz, and SA won twice and England 1 once. TBH the finals make it looke like there are only ever 5 teames in it.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s true. No one cares about second place, no matter how well a team may play to get there. You may as well come 3rd or 4th for all it’s worth.

toys19
    Free Member

I disagree. The kiwis haven’t won since 87 but they are always the team to beat.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I think you’ve forgotten 1987!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers for the link TJ!

toys19
    Free Member

doof doof 😀 really?

clubber
    Free Member

You may as well come 3rd or 4th for all it’s worth.

The Kiwis wouldn’t agree with that (if they were being honest) – them failing to make the final last time was considered a national disaster…

duckman

I think Scotland will beat Argentina,the team that was such a force at the last RWC was old even then and has not changed since,nor has their game.I think if we can force the pace,which is one of our few strengths,then we will get past them.Look out for a very pale ginger young back rower in the Scotland team (you heard it here first)Key for Scotland is keeping 1xv fit.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Doof doof Eng won it in 2003 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Will the chaos at the RFU affect England?

llama

I felt that England got to the final in 07 on experience rather than playing ability (if there is such a distinction). Thats something they don’t have nearly as much of this time, and they are so hit and miss, that it is going to be difficult for them.

Ireland on the other hand have seen it all before; I have good odds on them getting to the final

But it really is anyones from NZ, Aus, SA, Eng, Fra, Ire

Sorry Scotland no chance for you

Italy will carry their roll on from the 6 nations and perform above themselves

doof_doof
    Free Member

Sneaky edit there Toys!

toys19
    Free Member

[mike phillips]It was within the rules..[/mike phillips]

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I’m going to the match this Saturday wheres best to get a beer before the game?

IdleJon

Assuming that Wales have enough to beat Samoa, who seem to be the form team of the moment, my quarter/semifinals seem to line up as:

Aus/Wal v Eng/Fra
    SA/Ire v NZ/Sco

Sadly I think Scotland would be out at that stage, Wales probably can’t match Oz either. I’d put money on SA rather than Ireland even with SA’s current poor form. Who wins a QF between England and France?

So, Aus v Eng/Fra. My money would be on Australia against either team.
    SA v NZ. On current form NZ. Home advantage, bearing in mind collective suicide possibilities, NZ.

A final of NZ v Australia in Auckland which very interestingly is the exact Tri-Nations game on this coming weekend. Far more relevant than an England v Wales warm up game?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Doof doof Eng won it in 2003

Aye but they lost it in 1991 as well as 2007. France have also lost 2 finals.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thankfully, the Green Machine :mrgreen: won’t have the weight of stupid expectations on them. But getting past SA? Well, anything’s possible…however, it’s improbable to say the least.

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Will the chaos at the RFU affect England?

Chaos at the RFU – SNAFU – no one will notice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Thankfully, the Green Machine won’t have the weight of stupid expectations on them. But getting past SA? Well, anything’s possible…however, it’s improbable to say the least.

You know what they say about million to one short, Darcy…!

As ever, will be supporting Wales first, then any home nation, then anyone Northern Hemisphere (and I include Argentina in that, as they play far more like a NH team!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOLs at clubber.

Scotland – gettingout of the group will be hard but they are capable of it. even of winning it there really is not a huge amount between England / Argentina and Scotland. Beyond that? Very much a case of maybe causing an upset or two but chances of getting to teh semis must be low.

Pretty much a full squad and prepared as well as they can be. One or two outstanding talents. A great team ethic and some real leaders. For one they will not be outmuscled having a few big guys. Lack of depth and weaknesses in some positions will cost them I guess.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does every team need a ginger monster?

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why France never win?

hels
    Free Member

I don’t mind the French winning, at least they do it with a bit of flair, and have been known to remove their shirts at the end. Can’t ask for more than that !!

donsimon
    Free Member

As ever, will be supporting Wales first, then any home nation, then anyone Northern Hemisphere (and I include Argentina in that, as they play far more like a NH team!)

I’m liking your logic Captain. 😕
    I’ll be supporting the SH teams.
    Wales, cos they speak Welsh in Argentina.
    Then Argentina, because an ex is from there.
    😆

TimP
    Free Member

Looks like Manu in the centres for Saturday with Flutey and Wilkinson at 10

anagallis_arvensis

When are the teams anounced? Rees injured so expect Bennett to butcher the lineouts and Wales to get a kicking.flutteyand tuilagi in centre? Good yeomen Englishman, expect gav to get upset ab
    out his lack of tan!

IdleJon

Tomorrow I think, a_a

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so thats the England team to face Wales announced.
    D Armitage
    M Banahan
    M Tuilagi
    R Flutey
    M Cueto
    J Wilkinson
    D Care
    A Corbisiero
    D Hartley
    M Stevens
    S Shaw
    T Palmer
    T Croft
    L Moody
    J Haskell
    Replacements: L Mears , D Wilson), M Botha ), T Wood , R Wigglesworth , C Hodgson , C Sharples

Now I have not been following English rugby closely recently but doe that look like a team to beat the best? or a conservative selection?

Does not look as dynamic and quick as some of last seasons teams. Where is Courtney lawes? is he injured?

Are Care and Wilko really the guys to get a back line moving? Waht happened to Flood? Youngs? Does anyone apart from Johnson think Banahan is a test wing? Where is Strettle? Foden?

I really hope for Englands sake / the sake of an exciting WC thats not indicative of the team Johnson intends to take to the world cup. I have been watching a fair bit of southern hemisphere rugby recently and they are playing a fast dynamic game that many of those players simply cannot do,

Sure can grind out wins against lower ranked teams but against teh Tri nations?

TimP
    Free Member

Strettle is dropped from the WC squad, but definitely looks like a “B” team with most of the team being bench hopefuls. Jonno still has to drop 10-15 players so apart from the front and back row I think it is people playing to get on the plane. Lawes was stretched off on a backboard last week but apparently he is OK but the backline is different to the end of the 6 Nations
    Youngs
    Flood
    Tindall
    Hape
    Ashton
    Cueto
    Foden

will be interesting to see how they play (hope they play with the same flair as the Saxons)

Wales also seem to have put out a similar team.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – Ta for that
    So this is the possibles then hoping for a place in the squad or being tried out? Not indicative of the test team? Phew!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Highlights on BBC 3 at 19.00, which I guess will have to do.

Like Flashy I am Plastic Taff, born in Cardiff but everything else about me is English, have always supported Wales first then England second, although I always expect England to do better come WC time. Looking forwards to seeing Tuilagi getting a run out and seeing how he performs on the international stage.

I would love to see Wales or England win the WC but at some point NZ have got to stop chocking and with the team they have perhaps this is the year.

sadmadalan

Very much a trial for the England team on Saturday, with some options being tried in the backs especially. But this is to be expected – current squad size of 40 to be cutdown to 30 just after the next Wales/England match. I suspect Johnson knows the squad, but wants players to impress him and change his mind.

Expect Wales to put out a similar sort of team. Neither team is that bothered about losing, but individual performance will matter. Expect lots of early subs to allow players a chance to impress, so the game will be disjointed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interestingthe different approaches., Scotland are putting out pretty much their best team against Ireland. Obviously Scotland ( with the exception of the back row) have less choice than England – but which is better – to be experimenting with possibles or to be giving your test team game time?

The only experimental bit for Scotland is the back 5 of the pack – where I defy anyone to state which is the best combo! Teh killer Bs? Rennie? Vernon?

IdleJon

Eventually Teletext have put up the Welsh team:

Priestland
    North
    J Davies
    J Roberts
    S Williams
    S Jones
    Phillips

James
    Bennett
    Mitchell
    B Davies
    Wyn Jones
    Lydiate
    Warburton
    Faletau

Reps
    L Burns
    Charteris
    Bevington
    Ryan Jones
    Knoyle
    S Williams (Scarlets)
    Stoddart

Not a team I’d choose to spend money watching. I can’t remember how/where on the field Williams the replacement plays, but iirc he’s midfield – there isn’t a proper full back in the 22. Priestland has played there for the Scarlets, but he is a 10.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the pack take a hammering at scrum and setpiece.

TimP
    Free Member

Also TJ Scot are only playing 2 warm ups, Ireland 4 and Eng and Wales 3 games so Scot have a settled team and know pretty much their strongest team, they just need to get a bit of game time together and avoid injuries.

Think Eng and Wales in Cardiff will be very different with both teams playing much closer to their 1st XV

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.