Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rubber Queens, change for the better
  • simonm
    Free Member

Just picked up a new Rubber Queen 2.2 to replace a worn out one and they have definitely made some changes.
    I’m fitting these on Crests, and these went on really easily.
    Also, the big upside, I’m running them tubeless with gunk and unlink the old RQ, none of the gunk was coming out of the sidewalls at all compared to the originals. There is no mention on the Conti site that there has been a change but from this experience I’d defiantly say they have tweaked them.
    Hope that helps anyone who was considering them but worried by stories of fitting and tubeless. They are a really fantastic tyre

sputnik
    Free Member

Are you talking about the lightweight black chilli non ust one?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

First ride yesterday on RQBC’s and they seam really grippy and fast as fudge compared to Maxxis. 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’d heard they’d revised the X-King tubeless ready versions in the same way but that’s great news about the RQ. Only a couple of rides in on a RQ BC UST but v impressed so far.

lynxx
    Free Member

How are these for size, as the Nobby Nic’s 2.4 on my canyon are pretty close to the frame and pretty much rubbing if caked in mud. Are there what you call a large volume tyre?

simonm
    Free Member

Are you talking about the lightweight black chilli non ust one?

Yes.

simonm
    Free Member

They are a really reasonable size for a 2.2, not ballon and not too small.

There is no special designation on these to say there Tubless ready (LUST). They are from Next day tyres, Part# 55-559 (26 x 2.2) Black Chili

transapp
    Free Member

Is there any chance you could measure them please? Inflated width across carcas and knobbles and then height above rim?

Thanks

simonm
    Free Member

sure, will put the verniers on them tonight.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m not sure there are changes, I think you just got lucky.

I have 2, purchased at the same time and set up the same way. The front one has needed to be pumped up once in the last 3 months, the rear constantly goes flat randomly, sometimes mid ride. It’ll seal, stay up for a week, ride OK then suddenly go flat. Spends the night on a bucket, sidewalls leak then it’s fine again for a bit.

I suspect the ‘handmade’ means variation in the layup leading to random sidewall porosity.

Good tyres though – especially the one that stays up!

simonm
    Free Member

Phil, did they both visually leek fluid out of the side walls when you first seated them ?

Both my previous ones did. This “new” one certainly doesn’t, not one bit out of the side wall anywhere.
    Anyone in the industry know if they have changed them ?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

No, the front is fine, no wet spots on the sidewalls.

The rear is covered in little pinholes and damp patches, was even shooting 2 needle fine jets out until it sealed. Made a right mess of the workshop!

I hope they have improved, a little more rubber and a move towards tubeless ready would be great.

simonm
    Free Member

Is there any chance you could measure them please? Inflated width across carcas and knobbles and then height above rim?

57mm across, forgot to measure the other direction

keppoch

These sounds like good tyres, everyone seems to rate them in the 2.2 Black Chilli folding version. Does anywhere beat £45 on nextdaytyres? That would be more than I have ever paid for a tyre!

honourablegeorge
    transapp
    Free Member

Thanks simonm – that makes them actually 2.24″ (does what it says on the tin) unlike the schwalbe nic 2.25’s that are actually 2″. They should still fit ok though so I’ll get them on order.

Thanks again.

chiefgrooveguru

A 2.2 RQ up front pairs really well with a 2.4 X-King rear (both black chili). The latter rolls incredibly fast, has enough grip when cornering (and lets go nicely), not a lot when braking hard (but fine for what the back brake’s really for) and a remarkable amount of traction when climbing (even in the mud and wet). And they’re the same size as each other despite the official size discrepancy.

simonm
    Free Member

no problem.

badbob
    Free Member

just used the RQ-BC 2.2 on the front, at marshbrook ( cannot fit one on the rear)

what a ace tire! gripped really well in the mud, rolled well grass and tarmac sections

light too, very impressed!, well worth the £39! ( dearest tire i have purchased)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queens, change for the better’ is closed to new replies.