Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • RTA's
  • faint
    Free Member

Each day this week I’ve come across a road closure due to an RTA.
    Beginning to wonder what’s going on, is it something to do with the time of year ?

hora
    Free Member

Usually just after it starts raining.

You can guarantee that if its not rained for a few days and suddenly pours it down the M60 at rush hour becomes gridlocked in certain places.

I was driving down the motorway recently and marvelled at the Jet pilots in the fast lane even though I was reduce to having my rear fog light on and at 50mph due to the visibility/twilight conditions.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes, something about cold mornings, darkness or low level sun blinding people… can’t think why it causes crashes…

hora
    Free Member

Aye but you’d think they’d adjust their speed accordingly instead of rush rush rush.

After all. A 3hour delay getting home followed by countless calls to Insurance company and large premium increases isn’t worth the 5mins you gain getting in to watch East Enders is it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was a lorry driver for a few years and you see loads of them. It amazed me just how many.

IanMunro
    Free Member

At least you’re not in China.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8833993/Chinese-toddler-run-over-and-ignored-to-remain-in-vegetative-state.html
    BTW, I wouldn’t recommend following any link to youtube, it’s pretty grim.

hora
    Free Member

Someone told me about this yesterday. I can guarantee that if I opened a link I’d probably start crying. Not something you really want to do in an office.

crazy-legs

Seen a few round here too. It’s the time of year; sudden dark mornings (which automatically makes people feel more sleepy), the onset of bad weather, wet leaves on the road and if you get a little bit later on, the sunrise glaring off wet roads.

Horrible time of year this, commuting is noticeably more dangerous in October/November until everyone finally gets used to it.

hora
    Free Member

Tip (although common sense)- in Autumn/Winter – commute BEFORE rush hour. That way you don’t get late commuters rushing.

Early early- seems to be more chilled motorists. EVERYONE is tired at this time of year regardless of am commute time IMO.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I commute 100 miles a day and in my opinion its people driving too slow!

For some reason when it gets dark the M1 avg speed drops from about 80-85mph to 60. People drive about 3ft from each others bumper, they swap lanes constantly, and people constanly dab their brakes.

Its only so long before an accident happens!

In the summer when the avergae speed is higher, people tend to stick more to one lane, the gaps are bigger etc etc.

“Early early- seems to be more chilled motorists. EVERYONE is tired at this time of year regardless of am commute time IMO. “

Disagree the people up early are the ones who want to get there quickly. They are much more alert, drive quicker and have much better lane discipline, using their indicators etc etc.

When I leave at 6:30 am its fine. If I leave at 7:30 the standard of driving is shocking.

GrahamS

Sun glare is an issue on my commute, but bizarrely very few people seem to have sunnies on. I see them all with their visors down, blinking and squinting away. Still doing 70+ in a 50. Very odd.

nedrapier

The standard of driving in this country is appalling. The other day, in heavy fog, I passed dozens of motorists doing in excess of ninety miles per hour.

hora
    Free Member

😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was driving down the motorway recently and marvelled at the Jet pilots in the fast lane even though I was reduce to having my rear fog light on and at 50mph due to the visibility/twilight conditions.

You should never have your foglight on in the rain (or snow)

Doing a silly number of motorway miles at the moment and fog lights are my pet hate, especialy people who drive arrounf with the rear one on as well, FFS. (not aimed at Hora)

highclimber
    Free Member

[pedant]They aren’t refferd to as RTA’s (Road Traffic Accidents) as this implies to laymen that no one is to blame. They are more correctly known as RTC’s (Road Traffic Collisions).[/pedant]

faint
    Free Member

I was thinking a lot about the low sun being a cause, as I don’t like riding into it, and with the clocks going back it means we all have to go through the process again.

hora
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – I understand where you are coming from but when you can’t distinguish rear lights (or even brake lights) infront of you due to the squall and water kicked up from torrential rain I hit the rear foglight on.

Usually over the Saddleworth section of the M62 where visibility drops down to well under 100m’s.

kilo

You should never have your foglight on in the rain (or snow)

“Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)226
    You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).”

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

Rain can severely reduce visibilty.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Doing a silly number of motorway miles at the moment and fog lights are my pet hate, especialy people who drive arrounf with the rear one on as well, FFS. (not aimed at Hora)”

My 3 pet hates are… apart from middle lane drivers.

Fog lights on when its raining and not foggy is just stupid and dangerous.

Side lights or no lights on at all in heavy rain.

Constantly tapping the brake pedal when all in fact they need to do is look further ahead and just ease off the accelrator, really is a sign of a sh!t driver.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pet hate Nº1, people who drive too close leaving me no option but to tap the brake pedal to make them ease off, clear sign of a shit driver.

hora
    Free Member

Rain can severely reduce visibilty.

Amazed at how many people in silver and grey cars passed me with no lights on at all in the fast lane when I had my rear fog on.

Yes technically it was ‘daylight hours’ however you can use common sense ffs.

portlyone

Defensive driving is the answer. Plan ahead and adjust speed without needing to slam on the brakes.

Also watching people move across lanes into the braking space of other vehicles makes me cringe.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Pet hate Nº1, people who drive too close leaving me no option but to tap the brake pedal to make them ease off, clear sign of a shit driver.”

Was waiting for that entirely predicatble response. 🙂

“Yes technically it was ‘daylight hours’ however you can use common sense ffs.”

So you put your fog light on in the rain when its not foggy then?

Dez B its not so much about dazzling, more the fact that you cant tell so easily if they are braking or just stupidly put their foglights on. Some crashes are caused because people have fog lights on and then drivers cant see when the brake lights come on.

DezB
    Free Member

Foglights dazzle in rain more than they help visibility. Anyone with common sense knows this. FOG lights. Any clues in the name?
    People just like to press the little button cos they don’t get to use it often enough.

scaredypants

People just like to press the little button cos they don’t get to use it often enough

I think most people should use it twice as often – once for on and then, later when it’s not foggy, for off

hora
    Free Member

I think Kilo and the Government know more on the matter than some on here 😉

TBH I’ve been in heavy spray and squally conditions and you can just make out sensible motorists infront also using fogs- impossible for them to dazzle when they are used in appalling conditions isn’t it?

Anyway..

portlyone

F1 drivers seem to handle the red lights OK

DezB
    Free Member

FunkyDunc in responding to my post before I posted it scenario 😉

crazy-legs

The fact that Hora is actually driving his car at the moment means it wasn’t wrapped up with clingfilm anywhere near well enough… 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“F1 drivers seem to handle the red lights OK”

Eh? They have rear lights just like any car. But they dont have brake lights though do they because they are not needed.

Racing drivers are all sensible and skilled and generally all braking at the same place on the circuit. So no need for brake lights.

Joe Public brake whenever they like for completely random reasons so need brake lights. Brake lights are therefore needed and need to be more visible than the rear lights. When you put fogs on you stop this happening.

donsimon
    Free Member

Was waiting for that entirely predicatble response.

First class driver, ability to predict responses with pin point accuracy, life must be hard, no?

Amazed at how many people in silver and grey cars passed me with no lights on at all in the fast lane when I had my rear fog on.

But you saw them, so the problem is where? And if you spent more time concentrating on what you’re doing rather than what others aren’t maybe we’d have less accidents.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“First class driver, ability to predict responses with pin point accuracy, life must be hard, no?”

Don stop jumping to conclusions. You have no idea how far behind peolpe I drive, and obviously you have never come across this dangerous type of driving.

donsimon
    Free Member

Constantly tapping the brake pedal when all in fact they need to do is look further ahead and just ease off the accelrator, really is a sign of a sh!t driver.

Who’s jumping to conclusions?

Was waiting for that entirely predicatble response.

Pin point prediction!

and obviously you have never come across this dangerous type of driving.

Back to jumping to conclusions.

You have no idea how far behind peolpe I drive

I’d hazard a guess that you’ve never driven in a big city like London or Madrid with that type of ability. 😉

AndyRT
    Free Member

I have spent far too much of my life on motorways commuting, and although the commute is annoying, and sometimes harrowing, I personally hate driving any great distance on a weekend, as the quality of driving seems to hit a new depth of stupidity. When driving up from Winchester to the Swinley Love in a few weeks back, on that 29 degree scorcher day, there were no less than 7 rear end shunts, on the southbound side as everyone and their dog was heading for the beach, in 20 Miles 😯

c’mon people!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don I was referring to M1 (as stated in my post) ooop north driving not southern arrogant/rude/dont give a hoots about anyone but themselves city drivers 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

My last experiences of driving oop north (W Mids up to Madchester) was 105 in the outside lane, no mixing it with the divvies in the nearside and middle, looking far enough ahead that I could do almost all my driving without touching the brake. I guess things have changed a bit now, and not for the better. 😥

hora
    Free Member

Wow. I wish I could emulate such glorious roadspitfire pilotry 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

I wish I could emulate such glorious roadspitfire pilotry

And there we have it, at least you now know your place. 😛

kilo

Joe Public brake whenever they like for completely random reasons so need brake lights. Brake lights are therefore needed and need to be more visible than the rear lights. When you put fogs on you stop this happening.

I fully agree that rear fog lights in normal visibility are a nuisance however in poor visibility they are not. You’re driving in poor visibilty and see a bright red light on a vehicle in front, so you slow down thinking it may be a brake light – it turns out to be a fog light. So you’ve approached and identified a vehicle in poor visibility and slowed down before running into the back of it – the system has worked.
    Furthermore the inability of a driver to master the basic controls of their vehicle should act as a visual prompt for your driving plan – are they concentrating, will they do something stupid such as pulling out without looking, etc

fourbanger
    Free Member

Could you see the rear lights of the people infront of you? If so, probably no need to have your fog light on. Simple.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘RTA's’ is closed to new replies.