Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • RS SID RCT3 Advice
  • lune
    Free Member

Would anyone be able to give me any pointers on how my new SID RCTs (2012 Dual Air) are operating?

I’ve only been out with them around 3/4 times and I’ve came across a quirk…

With them being new I’ve been fiddling around with the blue dial whilst on different terrain and noticed that on a few occasions they don’t lock out.
    Even with the dial fully engaged in the L/O position the forks are fully open and even when turning the dial to open and back it still remains fully open in all the positions even threshold.
    The forks only appear to correct themselves after jumping off the bike and slowly clicking the dial back and forth a good few times.

The above doesn’t happen all of the time and I’d say 2 out of the 4 rides they’ve behaved ‘properly’ in all positions

I’m hoping it’s just a case of operator error and I’m just doing something wrong?
    Probably irrelevant, however I’m around 68kg and the air pressure is set at around 120 in both chambers.

Any advice much appreciated ta!

Rorschach
    Free Member

My revs the same occasionally.Serviced them.They still do it occasionally……no biggy.

IA

I’ve had a pair of the same (29er flavour) for about a year, never had the problem. Obviously I’ve serviced the lowers several times in that year (as you would any fork), only recently done the damper and replaced all the o-rings and glide rings too.

Blue lever is Lockout, platform and open.

I run 130+/120- at 87kg. So 120 for you sounds a bit firm IMO? (100mm sids here).

Having had them apart, I’m not sure what would cause the behaviour you’re seeing, other than oil level issues/seals. If they’re that new I’d send them back.

lune
    Free Member

Cheers, it certainly didn’t sound like a ‘feature’ and as we’re only talking about them covering approx 100mile I may have to bite bullet and return them to Merlin. If I’d bought them used or something I’d have probably put up with it, however for new it doesn’t seem right.

I’ll prob drop a few psi for my ride tomorrow and see how they perform, like I said just at the learning stage with them really.

Thanks for the minor correction IA, I’d forgotten the middle setting was called platform rather than threshold. I’d started to research lower servicing and looking for a how to guide.

Do feel like a v. nice fork otherwise!

IA

Service guides on the SRAM site.

You need a deep 10mm socket tho to reach the footnut on the air side. A cheaper option if you’re careful is a 10mm box spanner. As with all RS very easy to work on. Note they run very little (5ml) lube oil in the lowers, so keep on top of the servicing.

And yes, a great fork! Great traction and well controlled, stiff too (in taper 15mm form anyhow)

lune
    Free Member

Thanks again IA!
    Will source deep reach socket and RS lube so I’ve got the stuff ready for 1st service.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘RS SID RCT3 Advice’ is closed to new replies.