Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • RS Revelation dropout partially broken
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

The part of the dropout on the right hand leg which stops the wheel falling out if the QR has come undone has broken off on my 2008 Rev U-Turns. There is still enough dropout left for the QR to clamp against.

Looks safe ish to ride since there's the other half of the dropout still intact and the other side looks fine, however…

It makes me wonder though why it has broken off since they've not been crashed and then makes me wonder about the integrity of the rest of the lowers, including the IS Mounts where the paint seems to be chiping off.

Could be a case of overzealous QR clamping I suppose but it's pretty rubbish given the stresses that particular area must have to deal with.

Ambrose

Can you post a pic?

From what I understand you are saying I'd be a bit worried to ride them to be truthful.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Safety lips not necessary if you tighten the qr properly.

Does sound odd though

imnotamused
    Free Member

give me 10 mins and I'll get a pic online

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Safety lips are essential IMO – if the QR comes loose which braking over bumps can cause to happen they are all that keeps your wheel in. See pinder V Fox and many other cases.

Its rare and unusual but there are many documented cases including when the QR is done up properly. It take a series of factors to stack up against you

imnotamused
    Free Member

Not the greatest pic quality but gives you an idea, especially the pic of both legs for comparrison of broken vs good, and it's the left hand leg, not right as I said earlier.

LoCo
    Free Member

TBH matey I'd replace your lowers, yes they are ok in theory to ride but if they've cracked like that what is the next bit to go?
    Face plants at 20 mph tend to sting at bit 😮

baldSpot
    Free Member

Don't think I would use them if they were mine

Northwind

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the "lawyer tabs" myself, but the fact that bits are falling off the lowers would make me want to replace the whole things regardless, the next thing that drops off could hurt a lot. I would not personally ride on those.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye it's tough to tell from the pics, but that could be corrosion (you've certainly lost a lot of paint).

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Have you been using a roof mounted car rack that clamps into the fork drop outs?

MarkDatz
    Free Member

The breaks will push the wheel back in anyway so it can't fall out the tabs are just for when u forget to tihten the skewar so just make sure it's tiht and youl be fine

MarkDatz
    Free Member

The breaks will push the wheel back in anyway so it can't fall out the tabs are just for when u forget to tihten the skewar so just make sure it's tiht and youl be fine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mark Datz – Member

Wrong way round.

Oh and fantastic txt speak OMG111

Lionheart
    Free Member

Same-ish happened to 'Sprog' james revs, but the piece you have left came away as well. Big crash: one wheel, one disc, hose and 'superficial' body damage! I think well worth changing the lowers

MarkDatz
    Free Member

But the breaking will push ur wait onto the front so the forks get compresed and the wheel will get pushed back it's like the newton law

Edukator
    Free Member

Under two years old. Under EU law they owe you new forks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mark Datz – Member
    But the breaking will push ur wait onto the front so the forks get compresed and the wheel will get pushed back it's like the newton law

Firstly, learn to communicate in a language you haven't just made up.
    Secondly, so your front wheel never leaves the ground?

imnotamused
    Free Member

cynic-al – yes I agree it could be corrosion (difficult to know what that looks like but paint peeling off around the IS Mounts shouldn't happen and might be an indication of just that) but I've not had to do any front brake bleeding since I've had these forks so don't know where any corrosive substance could have come from.

AndyPaice – No, just a standard roof carrier which clamps to the down tube.

Edukator – 2nd hand off here 14 months ago so unlikely to have a leg to stand on I would have thought.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Lionheart – Member
    Same-ish happened to 'Sprog' james revs, but the piece you have left came away as well. Big crash: one wheel, one disc, hose and 'superficial' body damage! I think well worth changing the lowers

Warning enough without a doubt! Surely a manufacturing fault. How much are new lowers?

ridethelakes
    Free Member

No way would I ride with those, not even to the shops…

cynic-al
    Free Member

don't know where any corrosive substance could have come from.

Water, salt? Magnesuim is pretty soft.

MD – braking forces actually pul the wheel down out fo the dropout. Think about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

buy some magura forks, the lawyer tabs are borderline ridiculous (they envelop the whole dropout and stick out 2mm-3mm or so.

ahhhh bless him, must try hadrer in maths and science, in'it blad

Tim
    Free Member

Nope…not with disc brakes – think about the forces in action when you slam on the brake.

Think which way the wheel is trying to spin, and where the pivoting point now is when you brake heavily.

Ambrose

Is the thread about rotational forces, loosening qrs disc brakes and Russ Pinder lost from when STW was hacked?

imnotamused
    Free Member

Are they magnesium lowers?

Got a slight condensation issue in my bike shed and the bike's been on the salty roads through winter so maybe that's a very bad combo.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Ah well, got a 2nd hand replacement pair for £40 from the nice fellas at TF Tuned. New the white ones were £200 😯 These are black but I'll live. Maybe need a black bike now…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey, that is a good deal.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Lowers, not the whole fork, but yes it's great.

Happy days.

Northwind

That's a good price, nice one TF.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

Under two years old. Under EU law they owe you new forks.

I'd love to know what law 'cos this keeps being repeated and I don't know why

alpin
    Free Member

this happened to me with my Revs approx 18 months back, but in my case one side of the tab broke off and the wheel fell out. i went tumbling down a 2-3m rock face. left me with grazing down my back and left arm.

i posted something on here (old forum) about it.

because i bought them in the States Rock Shox Europe wouldn't warrenty it despite the fact the fork was only 5 months old.

mate at the bike shop sorted me out with new lowers at cost price and fitted them.

i'll dig out some pics next week if i remember.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘RS Revelation dropout partially broken’ is closed to new replies.