Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RS Lyrik seals annoying issue
  • PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I gave my RS Lyriks their 1-year full service a couple weeks back, using the seal/o ring/glide ring kit that comes with them when you buy them.

Everything went smoothly, and the fork felt lovely afterwards…. for the first couple rides, then they went horrible. Loads of stiction and really slow movement regardless of where in the stroke they were.

Back on the bench and I saw that the dust seals had unseated themselves unevenly by maybe 1mm at the most, so part of the seal was no longer flush in the recess in the lowers. I pressed it back in and didn’t think much of it.

Buuut, another couple of rides later and it’s done it again. What in the hell? Seals were installed with the proper RS tool, and followed the SRAM tech guides.

Anyone got any suggestions? Regular lowers services is great, but every couple of rides is starting to annoy me…

Cheers

LoCo
    Free Member

grease/oil/dirt on seal conact face in lowers maybe, it’s also possible to bend the seal installing them too.
    Once they move it’s generally best to replace them as any removal resetting is likely to damage the seal.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Bit of a catch 22 there then. Seals may be bent but I can’t tell without removing them. But removing them will likely bend them haha 🙄

I’ll strip them down over the weekend and see what’s what. The lowers were fully cleaned before installing new seals so it sounds more likely it’s an issue with the seals themselves. So, next question, can you buy just the dust seals on their own?

Cheers for the advice.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s more damage to the sealing surface that goes aginst the stantion getting damaged when you lever them out, especially the oil seals.
    and yes can supply seals individually.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Ah I see. I may well take you up on the seals once I’ve had a look inside them then! Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RS Lyrik seals annoying issue’ is closed to new replies.