• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • RP23 service…again :)
  • MarkyG82

I know this has been asked befor, but my shock is leaking air. Full pressure down to about 65psi in about 5 mins of riding.

Ive checked all the damping functions and decided the air seals are the issue. (I'm an engineer, used to pulling pumps etc apart)

Is it possible to reuse the seals after a full clean or should I get the seal kit?

This leads me onto trying to find somewhere that sells the kit. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys (and gals) 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the seals are at fault would you not want to replace them? Checked the valve?

AFAIK apart from air-can service there's not much you can do – nitrogen charged and perhaps different to pumps.

MarkyG82

Thanks al.

I wasnt comparing it to pumps, was just trying to stress that Iv changed a seal or two in the past.

I spose if the seals are passing then changing them would make sense rather than refurbing.

sv

Mojo do the seal kit and have the instructional video also.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mine leaked air, turned out the valve core had worked a bit loose. REmoved the core and cleaned it and it was fine after that.
    If you've had the seals in there for more than 2 years it would be a good idea to replace the seals and bushings. Kit from Mojo is about £15 or so. Takes about an hour to do at the most.
    Top tip, make sure the bushings and seals are warmed up a little, makes them more flexible and therefore easier to get in. The aircan bushings are a bit of a fiddle!

MarkyG82

Thanks guys. Will be on the 'dog' to MOJO for the seal kit.

Ill let you know how I get on.

Ant other top tips?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Did the aircan service a few weeks back and while it does not leak any air the shaft keeps "wetting" with fluid – any thoughts?

MarkyG82

Did you lube the seals befor rebuild?

Only other thought would be that the body or can got damaged in the procedure. But, as you did it urself im sure you were super careful.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Yep lubed the seals and added a bit more fluid than recommended so hope that is it. Working on the basis that it is losing no air at all and is functioning well I am hoping there is no damage done.

MarkyG82

Thats probably it then. Slightly to much oil and its getting past the seal when under compression.

If you followed the distructions and used common sense on the way Im sure it'll be fine.

retro83
    Free Member

Did the aircan service a few weeks back and while it does not leak any air the shaft keeps "wetting" with fluid – any thoughts?

It's normal according to mojo

MarkyG82

thats comforting.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Do an air can service first, before you order the seals, to check that there's no damage hiding under the seals.

MarkyG82

Dibbs-Mega top tip. thanks loads. Will strip it when I get home tomo and check.

MarkyG82

Well.

Took it off the bike this eve and had it apart. No wear on any of the shafts and seals look like … seals 🙂

I greased up some bits, added some shock oil and wacked it back together. My thoughts are that if it works then great. If not then get a seal kit and get it working. While i had it apart i checked the valve core and guess what? A touch on the loose side. Pulled it out and checked the condition. V'light coating of grease and reasemble.

The result is it seems to be holding pressure. In use and static.

Fingers crossed it'll stay like that till service time (probably as soon as I can afford it)

Thanks for all the help.

M

andrewh
    Free Member

Serviced a Floar RLC a couple of years ago. The seals were surprisingly cheap and the process was surprisingly simple, easy step-by-step in the manual.

MarkyG82

ok. iv checked the pressure again and all seems fine.

I can officially say iv stripped and rebuilt a float shock 🙂

thanks for all your help.

MarkyG82

ok. iv checked the pressure again and all seems fine.

I can officially say iv stripped and rebuilt a float shock 🙂

thanks for all your help.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Remove the shock from the frame, pump it up and stick it in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles, this will give you a good idea where you are loosing air 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Quite satisfying isn't it?
    I had to do a stuck down one for a mate, that was pretty scary. But after new seals and a good cleanup it was perfect.

I've scanned the MBR air can service instructions if anybody wants them. Good little pictorial run-through.

MarkyG82

A_S, thats a great idea. WTF didnt I think of it. Tips for next time though, thanks.

Dez, ill have a copy if thats ok. my bro isnt as technical as me and would probably need it when im abroad etc. Email is in profile.

Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

It's on my work pc, so will upload and post a link tomorrow.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘RP23 service…again :)’ is closed to new replies.