Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RP23 on 150mm Spesh Enduro
  • lawrence0329
    Free Member

Hi,

I was sold this frame with a DHX 5.0 coil. The ride feels very stiff even on the softest setting, ProPedal (blue adjuster) turned all the way to the – (minus) side, there’s not much difference between having it fully one side or the other. I don’t like it mainly because the shock’s stroke is 1.75″ (45mm) and it has a 700lbsx2.25 spring which according to Mojo’s calculator is good for my weight (60kg/140lbs) but it’s just not right. Is it? That’s why I’m here. I need advice on this issue and wether or not to upgrade to an RP23 because it’s much simpler IMO. The RP23 I have my eyes on is 200x50mm. Will this be suitable for a 150mm bike? If not, what will?

Thank you,

Lawrence

Bregante

You need a 200 x 57 for an Enduro SL like this

A 200 x 50 will fit but the shorter stroke length will reduce your travel by a small amount (maybe 15-20 mm). I’m not sure at all about the DHX coil stroke length you refer to but is it worth getting the correct coil first. I had a van Rc on mine for a while (also got a rp23) and it felt ace but was obviously heavy.

lawrence0329
    Free Member

Thanks. I was just wondering if it’s worth sending it off to get it lengthened because you can lengthen it at Mojo but wouldn’t it be 207mmx57mm if they increased the stroke by 7mm? Would it still fit on the Specialized?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What year Enduro?

I had a DHX5 coil on my 206 enduro. It was wicked compared to the DHX5 air it replaced.

RP23 on my 2010 enduro, it’s great too. Efficient

The 200×57 will still fit, it’s 200 long, and compresses by 57mm. You may like to see if the rear whel gets to touch the seat tube though.

I put a coil shock on the 2006 enduro and it’s stroke was stock, ie not shimmed to suit the , *64mm instead of *57mm?. Apparently on a small frame the rear heel would strike the seat tube but not on mediums or larger. The longer stroke allows the rear wheel to move up more.

* I think my shock measurements were that anyway.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had an RP3 on my pitch which is very similar to the above Enduro and worked excellently.

I have an older Enduro (06) now with a 222×66 Monarch+ and that is fantastic.

lawrence0329
    Free Member

That’s good then. I can just buy the RP23 and lengthen it.
    I have medium 2008 enduro so the rear wheel touching the saddle wouldn’t be a problem hopefully.

Thanks! This was really helpful.

Bregante

Can you not just get a s/h 200 x 57? It’s a fairly common size and they come up quite often on here. In fact I’m sure there was a CCDB on here the other day…..

Bregante

Just found it, it’s sold (and was 200 x 50)

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you want to lengthen your travel then a 200×57 is best as you will retain your BB height head angle and seatpost angle. If you go for a 207mm shock (which I’m not sure Mojo will do) then you will get a higher BB and steeper head and seatpost angles. IMO this will negate the point of having more travel.

lawrence0329
    Free Member

Bregante – Fair play
    l_Ache – will it really affect that much?

khani
    Free Member

A 200×50 and a 200×57 are both the same length (200mm) a 200×50 has a stroke reducer fitted to give 50mm instead of 57mm stroke, the reducer can be removed during a service to give the full 57 mm stroke, the eye to eye length of the shock will stay the same (200mm) no matter what,
    200×57 is a common size used on loads of bikes and should be as easy to find as a 200×50, or if you’ve got a 200×50 send it to mojo to have the reducer removed to give the full 57mm stroke,
    you’ll probley have to pay for a service as the reducer is inside the shock, not on the shaft so they have to split the shock to remove it..

I_Ache
    Free Member

Like Khani says you normally have a choice between 200×50 and 200×57. I have never heard of 207×57. If somehow you have a 207×57 then yes you will notice the change of geometry. Like I said you are much better off with a 200×57. You will have to be carefull with this as the travel in the shock may be too much for the frame.

Normally the shock would bottom out, you absolutely don’t want the frame to bottom out, which could happen with a longer stoke shock. If your frame bottoms out your in trouble.

lawrence0329
    Free Member

I get what you guys are saying but surely increasing the stroke also increases the length of the shock so a 200×50 and a 200×57 can’t really be the same length, if you know where I’m coming from. And also if it’s as khani says, how would you tell the difference between a 50mm and a 57mm shock? Or would you have to open it up?

khani
    Free Member

The shaft is the same length for both shocks, the 200×50 compresses 50mm and leaves 7mm unused, while the 200×57 compresses the full 57mm…
    The way to tell is to take the spring off, or let all the air out, and compress it and see how far it travels..

Dain_Bramaged
    Free Member

Wow….a 700lb spring ? Really ?? and you weigh 140lb ??
    I’d start right there… I’m 200lb fully kitted and my Enduro SL with a Fox Van RC has a 600lb spring.
    Yes – your DHX isnt the correct shock stroke, but that spring seems very very firm for your weight.
    Talk to Mojo (or Push’d – they did my shock). Ask them about changing the DHX stroke and spring.
    But it depends on the riding you’ll be doing…
    Mainly downhill but you want to be able to pedal to the top – coil shock, but you’ll have a bit more pedal bob.
    Mainly pedalling with a bit of downhill – air can, but you wont have such a plush ride going down.
    Although the RP23 is a great shock, I have read about it blowing through travel in the mid-stroke. Again, Mojo or Push’d will advise best….

hora
    Free Member

I had Bregantes coil Fox on my Enduro. It makes the bike too heavy but sooooooo cushioned. Sold the shock on!

I_Ache
    Free Member

lawrence0329 – Member
    I get what you guys are saying but surely increasing the stroke also increases the length of the shock so a 200×50 and a 200×57 can’t really be the same length, if you know where I’m coming from. And also if it’s as khani says, how would you tell the difference between a 50mm and a 57mm shock? Or would you have to open it up?

They are the same length just slightly different inside. As above you just let the air out to check the stroke and see how far it compresses.

Just had a look at the Fox site and it seems that the smallest stroke they do the DHX in is 50mm. Are you measuring the exposed stantion on the shock? Coil shocks have a foam bump stop that gets compressed, so while it might look like it only has 45mm stroke it may well have 50mm. If you look at the TF spring calculator they say that a 50mm stroke on a 150mm travel frame wants a 500lb spring. If I am correct your spring is way too hard, this would explain the way it feels to you.

Try a cheap 500lb spring before splashing out on a whole new shock.

khani
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RP23 on 150mm Spesh Enduro’ is closed to new replies.