Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Routes South of London
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Looks like my weekend in Wales is cancelled due to sister in law giving birth to twins yesterday 🙁 🙂
    So we're heading down to Crawley at the weekend instead to stare at babies. I'm not going to be able to do that for long so will be taking a bike with me. Where's good to ride and can anyone send me a tracklog for something down that way that is good?

Thanks

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

All babies look the same.

Go to Wales instead

sheldona
    Free Member

All babies look the same.

Go to Wales instead

I said that to my wife last nigh and didn't get the response I was after so Crawley it is!

bent_udder
    Free Member

North Downs and Surrey Hills. Go to Dorking (a bit North of Crawley) and ask in Head For The Hills on West Street. They're on 01306 740993

Stoner
    Free Member

hehehe "Uncle Wok"

sheldona
    Free Member

Shut up Stoner!

bent udder, thanks, I'll look them up if I don't get a route on tracklogs.

lcj

Or if you're in Crawley and like jumpy DH stuff you could try Tilgate Forest – there were plenty of dirt jumps and loads of mini dh tracks built when I was last there.

sheldona
    Free Member

Icj, thanks but more into extreme fireroad light and trail riding tbh.

lcj

In that case you want the Surrey Hills as suggested. Be careful though, some of the fireroads there are borderline all mountain rather than freeroad lite. I can think of several with some nasty water eroded bits so you might want to get a guide. I'd offer but I'm nursing some nasty stinging nettle rash from a recent backcountry epic. Also, keep in mind that there is little potential for uplifts out there, so you'll need to have the kit to do some self-shuttling.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

There is lots of nice riding to be had in tilgate, you don't have to do the freeride jumps, there is plenty of singletrack around there too. When are you going, you might be able to join in with one of our rides?

Jezwick
    Free Member

Or if you're in Crawley and like jumpy DH stuff you could try Tilgate Forest – there were plenty of dirt jumps and loads of mini dh tracks built when I was last there.

Seconded

Or head twenty minutes down to the south downs for a bit of XC south downs way or the excellent single track up at Stanmer Park or get up to wild park for the shore/dh/jumps

40 Mins from Crawley your at Friston with has excellent XC bike trails and some great downhill tucked away as well.

should find something to do in that lot ???

ps not sure PORC is still open so I haven't mentioned that !!!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Its only 20 minutes to Devils Dyke. Park in one the small car parks at the side of the road (its busy at the pub at the top, plus 3 quid to park). Ride to the top and do a route round there.

Search for 'WMB' (whatMTB) on http://www.bikely.com or have a look in the Trails tab at the top of this very website.

woodsman
    Free Member

Friston from Crawley – blimey! What a faffle, to drive all the way there for a tiny patch of scrubby woodland, unless your after big downs riding, then there's quicker ways to get on the south downs, from Crawley.

Head to Tilgate for an explore, no tracklogs, the best woodland riding is unmappable – you should know that. Or for a full day out head to Surrey Hills and pick up one of the over exploited routes there (see the Leith Hill thread by Mr Woppit if you dare! :wink:)

Nirvana cycles will sell you a laminated map – you can park near and ride from the shop. I'm sure tracklogs for the area exist from MBR etc – just don't expect to find the best stuff.

I would show you the best riding a stones throw from Crawley, but I'll be riding on the isle of Wight this weekend.

Enjoy, and let us know where and how you found it.

Pete

sheldona
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers people!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Caution. wok tax north of crawley.

sheldona
    Free Member

One of my stalkers has arrived then. Wheres the other one?

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I only stalk your wife…

🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Is that a euphemism.

lcj

No, he's just pleased to see you.

sheldona
    Free Member

I only stalk your wife…

Sorry should of said 3!

TheSwede
    Free Member

3. Pah. I'm sure there must be around a dozen wok pokers.

TheSwede
    Free Member

So to speak.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Routes South of London’ is closed to new replies.