Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • routes out of Sheffield
  • mocha
    Free Member

If I were to get a train to Sheffield what would the best mtb route out of the city and into the Peaks – Ladybower or Hope direction preferably and eventually heading Oldham way.

Any suggestions? Took a look at the map but nothing’s jumping out as a ‘nice’ route.

Cheers for any info.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Could get a local service from Sheffield to Hope station to save a bit of a slog out on the roads?

mocha
    Free Member

Yeah, coming from Manchester so could just get off earlier though I was hoping a local may have an interesting route up their sleeve?

cp

From the station, aim for Eccleshall road. Try not to crash whilst admiring the views. When you get to Hunters Bar roundabout (the roundabout where Eccleshall Road and Brocco Bank meet) head into Endcliffe Park. Basically you follow the stream for a few miles up the valley through Bingham Park. Pops you out on Fulwood Lane eventually. Turn right, and make your way to Redmires resevoirs. Go up and over Stanage Pole, and either take a cheeky footpath to the right along Stanage Edge, or drop down the Bridleway or BOAT (or whatever it is) & meander round to either Hope or Ladybower.

steveh

It’s not super interesting but if you head out from the station along eccleshall road you can link in to a string of paths that lead all the way up to Ringinglow and from there you can access Stanage or Houndkirk moor easily.

steveh

The footpath cp mentions heads from Stanage pole to either the a57 snake pass or across to Devils elbow at the end of Ringinglow. It is however very cheeky and really is a night ride only type of trail that’s quite trialsy in places.

The best way down stanage is down the small bridleway. Continue along the main trail from the pole and then turn left after 3-400m where there is a post on the left of the track. Bear right where you can to beign with and then you’ll start to head rapidly down on rock slabs doing a 180 turn (the most photo’d place in the peaks) and all the way to the bottom. It’s a cracking descent.

mocha
    Free Member

cool, cheers for the info. Will get the map out later and take a look.
    🙂

Pook

ECCLESALL ROAD.

It’s not eccleshall road. Wouldn’t want you getting lost.

Pieface

Or head north and up out the better valley

GEDA
    Free Member

Get out at Dore. Through the Ecclesall woods then you could go to Blackamoor or drop down into Bingham park/Porter Clough.

Pook

I second pieface and could show you a great trail to get there

monksie
    Free Member

Hi Rich, how’s things? I hope the shop is going well.
    I’ve done Sheffield to Manchester off road a couple of times and I struggled to find anything out of Sheffield until I got nearer to Redmires(ish).
    I suppose heading over to Cut Gate would be a better option for you than coming over to Stockport which is the route we took.
    Not helping much am I?

nosedive
    Free Member

dont come into Sheffield if you dont need to. what about getting out at edale? quick pull over the hill, down the beast and you are at ladybower. Up the hill again you can head to cut gate (where you will be lost in a bog and uncovered perfectly preserved 200 years later). There are various ways back towards Manchester from the langsett end

BadlyWiredDog

Off at Hathersage surely if the idea is to stretch the ride?

jackthedog
    Free Member

Yes, take the train straight to the good stuff, don’t bother riding from Sheffield.

There are some good mostly off-road routes out of the city but they’re often cheeky, hard to find and not easy to link up if you’re not local and don’t know your way around the place.

thepodge
    Free Member

I agree, train out to the Peak.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘routes out of Sheffield’ is closed to new replies.