Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Routes Near Loch Achray Please
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Be staying up there for a week so would welcome route advice and a gpx or two!

I’m assuming that gears would be a better idea than singlespeed?

Beagleboy

Nip over to Callander and pop into see Mark, who runs ‘Wheels of Callander’ an outdoor adventure centre type of a thing. He’s wonderfully helpful and an all round nice guy. He’ll sort you out with a few route ideas.

The Menteith Hills loop is the best that I know in the area, and I have a GPX in the house. Unfortunately thing’s are a bit mad at home at the moment. Mum’s moving into sheltered accommodation so it’s all hands on deck to get her moved in. I think my profile has my email address showing, (if it doesn’t I’ll sort it soon), if you drop me a line, I’ll try and get back to you asap with more route info.

Cheers,

Beagy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best bet would be to go on Stirling bike club’s forum and ask. Either that or search vimeo for Joe Barnes pootling on Ben A’an, quite a simple ride, really.

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll follow those up

BoardinBob

Joe Barnes pootling on Ben A’an, quite a simple ride, really.

You call this simple? 😯

BoardinBob

Joe Barnes pootling on Ben A’an, quite a simple ride, really.

You call this simple? 😯

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Joe-Barnes-Ben-Aan,8205/MTBCUT-tv,6

drofluf
    Free Member

Hmm, something to have a go at mince my way down

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is the old waymarked route halfway over the Dukes Pass still there?

Steve_B

No end of forest tracks around Achray and L Ard – You might need to use them as the hill routes are likely to be very wet after recent rain. There is wonderful singletrack around David Marshall Lodge – some of it obvious tho much relics of former SXC races so not easy to find unless you can team up with a local.

Apparently you can also go up the track at Altskeith by L Ard and descend the hill path from Ben Venue – I haven’t tried it

The finglass route is old landy track OK tho tough climbing – you should be able to lift a GPX file of my Sportstracker page for some variations.
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/steverb_11/81igl9dgmuqc5t60

For a longer outing it can be linked by going to Balquihidder and Glen Ample – which used to be heavenly singletrack but now a wide surfaced path. (The descent to Balquihidder is marmite – the only descent you need to do in granny gear so it is a love hate variation).

Some photos of a variation of the Menteith Hills circuit are here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26693195@N03/sets/72157624937715111/show/

With a wee bit of exploring I ended up here

Monievreckie nirvana? by steverb_11, on Flickr

Though it was over an hour of hike-a-bike!

And unless you are a biking god do Ben A’an as a walk without the bike – definitely worth it – central Scotlands mini Matterhorn! If you want a challenge can try climbing the minute slab at the top.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Routes Near Loch Achray Please’ is closed to new replies.