Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Routes near Langdale
  • HaydPD
    Free Member

Some mates and I are heading to the lakes for a long weekend of Riding, Camping and Drinking.

We will be staying near Langdale and I need some ideas on routes please.

Most of the guys aren’t particularly experienced riders so we are looking for 15-20 mile loops. Fun, Picturesque not too challenging or technical.

Any ideas (and maybe gpx files) gratefully received.

Thanks!

Esme
    Free Member

This Fat Tyres route is good, and you could add extra stuff if it’s too short.

HaydPD
    Free Member

Looks good. Thanks Esme.

Trekster

Classic, excellent Lakes route but don’t underestimate how hard it might be for someone not used to Lakes riding.

You need to visit Biketreks; http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/guides/

Coffee time = http://www.chestersbytheriver.co.uk

Esme
    Free Member

You’re not far from Grizedale, with a nice mix of The North Face Trail Centre, and lots of natural stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Biketreks have some great route cards that detail a range of routes that start round there, plenty go through the Langdale road too. Lots of mixed ability stuff that they run their demo’s on too.

djflexure

I’d give Chesters a miss
    Went yesterday and it’s gone right down hill
    Smelled on sewage outside too

Lots of riding round Tilberthwaite, Hodge Close, Langdale and Loughrigg but don’t have gpx to hand

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Fat Tyres route^ looks like the classic Loughrigg which is a great low level route (it still has ups and downs and is a biggish ride). That one^ is a much better version than the standard, as it has the great descent into Chapel Stile (often missed on others for some weird reason).

ampthill

That fat tyre loop is spot on

If you are willing to drive to a trail look at the Garburn Pass

If you are on hard tails and willing to add road miles then ride to Coniston on the Sustrans route (through Tilberthwaite), this is mainly off road from th ecampsite and fun easy rising. Then ride the Walna scar road and come back via wrynose pass and the langdale pass

chakaping
    Free Member

Lots of riding round Tilberthwaite, Hodge Close, Langdale and Loughrigg but don’t have gpx to hand

That loop will be perfect for your pals. My mates loved it and they barely ride at all.

It’s undulating rather than big hills and not massively technical but fun to ride fast.

Let me know if you want a GPX, I did it a couple of months ago so could DL it from STrava.

HaydPD
    Free Member

Chakaping yes please

HaydPD
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your comments

If anyone has gpx files for any of these routes that would be great!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll try to sort it out later, email and remind me if I don’t.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’d give Chesters a miss Went yesterday and it’s gone right down hill. Smelled on sewage outside too

Went BH Monday. Rammed and expensive but great food and cakes. Looks like they’ve got a little activated sludge plant round the back. I’ve smelled far worse riding past a farm. Would rather they had that than pollute the river!

djflexure

Rammed, expensive and very poor cakes (IMO, and the other 6 who were with me).
    Might have forgiven the smell otherwise

Pub at Elterwater is probably a better bet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Langdale’ is closed to new replies.