Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Routes in the brecon beacons?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Hi,

I mainly ride in the black mountains when I want a big hills fix, as they are my closest option, and some of the riding is superb. This Saturday though, I want to venture into the beacons themselves. I’ve ridden a few routes but was wondering what other people enjoy the most? Technical descents are good, as are climbs I don’t need to push up, but Im not too adverse to a hike up for a good descent.

Any suggestions?

faustus

Gap road seems obvious choice..? Route explained online in lots of places.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden the gap route as I’ve been told on numerous occasions it’s not that great. It could be an option though.

MartynS

The Gap ride is a classic MTB ride. It’s not in the slightest bit technical though.
    It’s a lovely way of seeing that part of the world.

JackHammer

There’s a map pack you can buy from the National Park service. Got a few routes. I did the talgarth black earlier this year and it was pretty good, i was absolutely shagged by the end of it though.

jekkyl

It’s not in the slightest bit technical though.

I disagree, ‘not in the slightest bit technical’ for me is a fireroad. It isn’t a fireroad there are plenty of rocks on the up and the downs. It’s not dark peak level technical but there is some tech. It’s also great fun.

Stoner
    Free Member

taking in Y Das would cover “technical” 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Technical as you want it to be. Plenty of more technical line choices and routes up, and on the descent it’s either a leisurely / gingerly stroll through the rocks, or a full on blast at speed. Done it a few times now where I’ve thought this is going to hurt badly if I come off. Big grin at the end.

Depends what you’re use to though. Technically it’s all bridleway stuff, but if you’re used to tame bridleways of the south east (not counting the ones horses utterly destroy), then the Gap stuff is relatively technical. If you’re used to Wales, Lakes, etc, then no it won’t be.

Anyway, if you’ve never done stuff in the Beacons, it’s worth a go. I now need to explore beyond just the Gap.

orangeorange
    Free Member

The scenery on the new Danny MacAskill video posted yesterday reminded me a lot of the Gap route,give or take a few scenic train Station platforms.
    It”s a great ride and pretty easy to follow too

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Routes in the brecon beacons?’ is closed to new replies.