Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Routes in Arisaig general area
  • ahsat

Got a couple of weeks off in May and are planning on heading to Scotland. Have a 2-day kayaking trip booked at Arisaig in the middle of it so looking for routes on the west side. We have done Torridon and Skye in the past and p20 has ridden in Glencoe area (I’ve walked round there lots) and we have done some touring-light in the far NW (Lairg-Durness loop). Any route suggestions in that general west coast area? We are flexible, will have our tent and prepared to move about a bit. We probably will have the Souls as we are thinking we might do some bikepacking.

Thanks in advance.

rickmeister

There is a really nice out and back to Tarbert / Loch Morar, just up the road, then ferry to skye and some classics there, or Harris / Lewis if weather permits.

Scotroutes will be along soon I guess…

ahsat

Thanks Rick

I did consider just giving it a title of ‘Scotroutes to the forum please’… 🙂

kcal

Loch Morar would be my immediate suggestion. I think you could then pick up a ferry at Morar – possibly get in to Knoydart from there. Across the water to the south, there are some tracks round Ardnamurchan – Acharachle, further down to Swordle..

scotroutes

Loch Morar makes a super there-and-back route or you could time it with the Inverie-Tarbet boat for a one-way trip.

There’s a decent on/off road loop from Acharacle (great cafe) heading past the “Eden” beach at Kentra, Ockle, Glenborrodale.

Glenfinnan, Cona Glen, Strontian, Polloch is another.

There’s likely to be a wee bit of pushing to make the loops work but it’s an amazing, and quite under-sung, part of the country.

Let me know if you want some GPX files.

Also, check out the fabby beach at Sanna and the caldera you pass through to get there.

ahsat

Thanks both. Will get the OS maps ordered and have a look and Scotroutes I may well drop you an email for some .gpx files. Thanks.

P20

Thanks, I’ll have a look. I may come back with some more questions!!

P20

Scotroutes, I’ve sent you a private message

LapSteel
    Free Member

Also, check out the fabby beach at Sanna and the caldera you pass through to get there.

Just tried that on google earth…..looks great 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

The caldera is probably more impressive from aerial photos, it’s a bit of big thing to get a feel of when you pass through it and you sort of need to know what to look for. Probably worth getting a guidebook/pamphlet to help explain it.

The lighthouse at Ardnamurchan is worth a visit, if only to say you’ve been to the most westerly point on the UK mainland. It’s a couple of quid to have a tour of the lighthouse itself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Routes in Arisaig general area’ is closed to new replies.