Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Routes from near Skelwith?
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

Me and the family are off to the Lakes later this month, I mostly end up taking 2 bikes road and MTB as i find English access laws a tad confusing. However this time I cant be bothered so me and the young team are just taking MTBs…so I am looking for routes that start near Skelwith which mean I dont need to take the bikes on the car somewhere first. I’m after things that would suit me and a pretty competent 8 year old.
    Any suggestions?

Trekster

http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe.php?route=27

Have a look at the lost on this site and you coils also join Jenkyn Gragg and Kentmere to make a good ride.

Pop in to Biketreks either with a map(early am)or buy their little route maps of the local classics

Are you staying in Skelwith or the caravan park? Chester’s is a good treat or nip over to Staveley, park the family in Wilfs cafe and have a browse around Wheelbase 😆

Oops didn’t notice the bit about 8yr old !

Grizdale or up to Whinlatter blue 💡

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Skelwith – really looking at Loughrigg Fell, Up to Knipe Fold on the road, follow the track to pick up the Ironkeld descent, Tilberthwaite and back through to Langdale.

Nice route that!

slowclimb
    Free Member

Cheers chaps.
    We’ll give Loughrigg a go. Are the routes up there all okay to ride on? You boys do have funny laws down there 😉
    Trekster – we spend most days in Chesters, I sometimes think I should just get my holiday weeks wages paid in direct to there 🙂
    My boy isnt your standard 8 year old to be honest, he probably rides more than me, probably faster too. Without wanting to sound too much like the proud tedious dad – he is East of Scotland Champion too 😀
    Me and the young team spend a good few hours each holiday going round Wheelbase, Biketreks, Ghyllside, Keswick Mountain Bikes etc etc and the new shop – Push Bikes in Ambleside too, worth a look if you havent been.

johnellison
    Free Member

You boys do have funny laws down there

It’s not THAT difficult!

Get the OS map for the area. Use the key to identify public footpaths (on OS Landranger (1:50000) they’re red dotted lines; on Explorer maps (1:25000 they’re green).

Stay off public footpaths. Everything else is fair game, except where no public right of way exists. Easy!

If you’re going to try Loughrigg, best to get there early – it’s Red Sock central even on bad days.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Cool ta, I’ve got the Explorer and Harveys maps so we’ll give it a go.
    Red sock central… 😆

tomaso
    Free Member

All round Elterwater/Langdale is fantastic and you can make it as big as you want. Its not really hard to link up with rides around Coniston, Hawkshead, Grizedale and Claife.

Trekster

My boy isnt your standard 8 year old to be honest, he probably rides more than me, probably faster too. Without wanting to sound too much like the proud tedious dad – he is East of Scotland Champion too

Know what you mean 😆 Have taken some 8+ club kids round Whinlatter and Blencartha in the past. All kids used to Mabie, Ae, Dalbeattie, Kirry and Drum.
    Have ridden with a few Scottish junior champs over the years including this one:
    http://www.dgnews-sport.co.uk/index.php/hardrock_challenge_2013/?k=:12::
    3 of the other competitors in that event, Ian Niblock, Ross Green and Ryan Fenwick have all been champs and Scottish squad at some time.

If you’re going to try Loughrigg, best to get there early – it’s Red Sock central even on bad days.

He should manage the big road climb up past the hostel nae bother. The descent of Loughrigg is easy enough, imaging GT Spooky wood without berms. Into Ambleside for a juice’n cake. Back out through the park, along the river the way you came, turn left uphill after the cattle grid and enjoy the descent back down to Skelwith(Elterwater?)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Routes from near Skelwith?’ is closed to new replies.