Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Routes either side of Loch Lomond?
  • mrchrist

Hi,

Plan on riding round here early October, reckon we will do 2 big days and then a half day. Staying at Balmaha.

Looking for route/trail inspiration, so far I have:

1. Arrochar
    2. The cobbles
    3. Ben Lomond
    4. Plus a few options in Kenny Wilson’s MTB scotland – The Highlands (Leacann muir road looked good but after doing a bit of research sounds like a bog/river ride)

Anybody got recommendations for some epic rides?

StirlingCrispin

4) Menteith Hill track isn’t too far from Loch Lomond.
    There’s also a mass of steep singletrack to explore near Aberfoyle / David Marshall Lodge.

http://www.stirlingbikeclub.org.uk/ride/mtb/menteith_hills.shtml

Other xc options are Glen Finglas/Balquhidder/Glen Ample.

Ben Ledi is a big hill option.
    (As is Ben A’an but it’s a walk for mortals and is stupidly busy most of the time)

PS: Good to see people are still using Kenny’s book. My beautiful face features in many photos 🙂

endurokid
    Free Member

I’ve done Ben Lomand and Be A’an, both are epic but tremendously hard!

Watch the Joe Barnes YouTube video for inspiration, although he makes it looks piss easy and flat!!!

legend
    Free Member

The Arrochar (Glen Loin) ride really isn’t up to much. First 10 miles are all fireroad, very scenic but still fireroad. When the trail starts it is ok, but not worth the trip

grum
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is ace if you don’t mind a long carry then riding back down the same way. Awesome techy fun.

cbike
    Free Member

John Muir Way
    Three Lochs Way

Not Technical single track but quite long and goes places, good views.

FOG

Has anything been heard of Kenny Wilson lately? I heard he had some problems but even the mtbScotland.com site has disappeared now. According to amazon uk you can still buy the book brand new for £2,499.99! I just wish I had one.

scotroutes

He was close to a Vol.2 a couple of years ago and I was going to be helping him with photos but I never heard any
    more.

julzm
    Free Member

Look up “Breakpad ben Lomond” on you tube and it will show you what it’s like

moonsaballoon

Just for balance i really like Glen Loin , while the riding might not be the most exciting the views are superb and it does give you a feeling of being out in the wilds , same goes for the ardgarten peninsula loop

mrchrist

yeah ben lomond looks ace!!!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I camped at Cashel a few years ago, the opposite side of the lake to the main road.
    the highland way ran parallel, I only had about an hour but found some nice singletrack which turned out to be sections on strava.

iainc

Has anything been heard of Kenny Wilson lately?

did a few rides with him last year but not seem him much in 2014

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Combine the Cobbler with the Arrochar loop, as both are too short IMO.

mrchrist

cobbler and arrochar combo, sounds the best of both worlds.

rene59
    Free Member

same goes for the ardgarten peninsula loop

I like this loop, mostly fireroad with only one section of singletrack but a really nice ride and some great scenery.

stanfree
    Free Member

The John Muir Way Isn’t worth bothering with In my opinion , Even when It’s gets close to Dunbar the route is hidden away through boring scenery.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Routes either side of Loch Lomond?’ is closed to new replies.