Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Routes close to Stirling/Dunblane
  • adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m after a recommendation for a route near(ish) to Stirling or Dunblane – probably in the 20-30km range (I’d be OK with more, Mrs Kiwi probably less so), moderately technical, ideally within riding distance of one of the stations (although car, and so more flexibility, is an option). Can anyone assist?

We’ve done the ascent of Dumyat from Bridge of Allan via Sheriffmuir before, and we’ve done the Glen Finglas loop (although that’s obviously a bit further north).

Thanks in advance!

Adam…

hainman
    Free Member

Comrie croft trails,maybe 20 minutes from Stirling and it is a great trail

DickBarton

It is very good but very short…however you could also combine it with a ride up Ben Chonzie and bag a Munro as well.

DickBarton

Ben Cleuch further along the Ochils…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ride from Stirling out to cambusbarron, so the north third loop, once off of there, explore cambusbarron.

matt_outandabout

Do the ride we did last night…

Dunblane, down the Darn Path, climb up through uni woods up onto Dumyat, down though witches Craig, back up and along uni woods, climb back up to mine woods, descend back up Darn Path, back up Darn Path to start (and pint in Tappit Hen).. 27km

andy4d

Not been for years but queen elizabeth forest at aberfoyle used to be worth a look.

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Wow, thanks all – I’ll get out the OS maps!

@mattoutandabout: is the Darn path the one that runs along Allan Water?

matt_outandabout

Yes, starts along golf course in Dunblane, opposite police station. Stay on East bank for lots of fun (kippenrait Glen descent is ace), on West Bank after concrete bridge it also has some fun, especially if you climb into Keir woods, back west towards A9.

ks562
    Free Member

Got to agree with Northwind on this one, North Third from Stirling and then into Cambussbarron woods. My local spot and just fantastic. Cracking views and it’s running perfect at the moment. If you want company I’d be happy to show you the route.

StirlingCrispin

All rides in the Stirling area MUST finish at the Bridge of Allan brewery (just a short ride from BofA station).

Other ideas:
    Auchterarder / Glen Eagles to Tillicoultry via Upper Glendevon.

There’s also a new forestry road from Menstrie to Sherrifmuir. Sherrifmuir Inn does food/beer and there’s a mass of tracks on the descent to Dunblane – or continue on down Darn Walk/ old Glen Rd to BofA.

adamthekiwi
    Free Member

Had an excellent ride y’day, so massive thanks to everyone who offered advice. Ended up following mattoutandabout’s route suggestion, and it was great. It was my second ride out on my new Spitfire and it was amazing; I rode far more of the ascent of Dumyat, and it ate up the descent, plus it gave me so much confidence on the rooty drops in Mine Wood. Stunning day (even if the wind was more late January than late May) and incredible views…

Thanks again!

jimmy

Was going to say Dumyat.great ride, glad you did it. North 3rd is also nice on a good day, Ben Cleugh along front Dumyat I’d you like a big up and a big down.

matt_outandabout

Glad you enjoyed it. Now time for North Third.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Routes close to Stirling/Dunblane’ is closed to new replies.