Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Routes around Wastwater
  • charliemort

Hi – off to Wastwater in April (planning ahead) with family

any good sprog friendly(11 and 9) riding around there? looks like there’s a few low level bridleways…..

and any good “adult” routes (especially quick 2 / 3 hour jobs………)

cheers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Click here for Burnmoor Tarn route

Ben_Haworth

Not very sprog-friendly trails around there really. You could do some of the milder ones (and some minor roads etc) around the Greendale area.

And for grown-up riding, with only 2-3hrs to play, I’d probably go over to Miterdale Forest and explore the stuff in there. Simon’s route is a good one but will prob take longer than you have time for.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sorry, I was speed reading 🙂

As Ben says you could ride along the lake shore and explore the BWs round Greendale and Buckbarrow

sofatester
    Free Member

Looks like a cracker though SB!

charliemort

right – that’s decided. Need to take a baby sitter and do some real stuff……… great, thank’s guys

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Looks like a cracker though SB!

the downhill from Burnmoor Tarn to Wasdale Head is the scariest and most exciting I know! I have never cleared it. Also Miterdale Forest is brilliant!

charliemort

bringing this thread back

Simon – if you see this, how long do you reckon for those routes you put up ?

guess 4 – 5 hours?

is the navigation fairly clear cut?

cheers

charlie

fullbouncebill
    Free Member

If I was riding in that area with the little ones,The Bridleway from Muncaster Castle (Lower Bridleway from the road)North East to Forge House,and then along the valley to Eskdale via Milking stead keeping south of the river.
    You could return the same way or use the road north of the river to Dalegarth station. all mainly flat Bridleway and the roads pretty good as well but can be busy easter time.

As an Adult ride Burnmoor tarn Bridleways are good and the best Downhill imho is from Irton fell through the ancient holloway in Miterdale forest towards Eskdale Green…Awesome!(best accessed from the road and then path..ahem alongside Irton Pike.

SFBs route is spot on, allthough I dont like the Boggy climb from 19 on the boggies map into the Miterdale forest decent,its awful!I use the road instead,and its a rideable landrover track all the way onto the ridge,but you need to stay close to the wall at the top to avoid the bogs 🙁

Enjoy. 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

guess 4 – 5 hours?
    is the navigation fairly clear cut?

Allow 5 hours. Trickiest navigation is Irton Fell, from the road, basically follow the fence on your left (we usually swing slightly R past a pond), you go through a gate with a redundant “please close” sign – it’s hard to keep it open against the spring. Follow the wall on the left till you reach a crest and take R fork. This dips and crosses a wooden bridge, then climbs to another gate onto the open fell. It’s hard to spot a definite track here, so just aim for the big rock high up, slightly to the R, and past that there is a visible track to the forest.

crazy-legs

One of the best routes in the Lakes that one, really quiet but some amazing riding and 2 stunning DH’s, the one down to Wasdale and the one through Mitredale Forest at the end. Enjoy! 🙂

charliemort

Blimey! – well we did it on Sunday, starting at the Youth Hostel at Wast Water. Great ride that…………. Miterdale descent was probably the highlight, but the one down from the Tarn was also excellent – no, we didn’t clean it either! Carry up Miterdale wasn’t too bad, and worth it for the views. The spin along Eskdale was nice and the climb up to Burnmoor Tarn was errr challenging! I was chuffed to get onto the little bridge by the Tarn clean, but then fell off in the stream on the other side

absolutely fan-blardy tastic – even kept the wife smiling!

thanks for the info., Boggies stuff was great

Weather perfect, didn’t get lost, think we buzzed round in about 4 hrs

Also used Fullbouncebill’s recommendation with the kids

never been to that area before – fantastic, will be back

cheers all

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m glad you enjoyed it – the weather was excellent 🙂

wors

I hope you went to the pub at wasdale head to sample some of the real ales 😛

charliemort

pub – what pub??

no couldn’t possibly have gone there….. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Wastwater’ is closed to new replies.