Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Routes around grasmere?
  • Garry_Lager

I have a conference coming up in grasmere – not a bad location eh? Each afternoon is free, so some riding needs to be done. I don’t know the lakes that well, so looking for some tips for routes in the area.

Grasmere seems fairly central, so I’m sure there must be 100 rides within reach (I’ll have my car). Could people suggest a few must-dos that are on the doorstep? Also, is there a good book of routes in the lakes like Kenny Wilson’s Scotland one?

Garry_Lager

Bump

C’mon lads, give me some ideas 🙂

Looking at the map, it seems like there are more options to the west towards Blea Rigg, whereas eastwards towards Fairfield seems like it might be very steep. There’s a track up towards Rydal Fell but it seems to peter out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

An ‘interesting’ route is up Dunmail Raise and onto the back road round Thrilmere, then up the fire road (forget the bridleway, which is a carry) to Blea Tarn and then down some amazing grassy zigzags to Watendlath. Next over to Rossthwaite via Frith Wood and up Stonethwaite to Lining Crag (steep carry) and down Grasmere Common.

There’s also a BW parallel to the road (eastside) from Grasmere to Rydal, then take back lane to Ambleside and up onto Loughrigg Fell, turn R at the bottom past the tarn to High Close YH and down the hill into Elterwater. From there you can go over to Tilberthwaite and back before going over Red Bank back to G.

boxelder

Go into Biketreks and ask for their maps.

definately – up Red Bank (steep road behind Grasmere), L onto BW at top of hill and down Loughrigg Terrace, turn R on the back road towards Amblesideand turn R up the steep tarmac lane (near cattlegrid/bridge) which leads onto Loughrigg Fell. At end of nice descent, go down road to village of Elterwater. From there find lanes/BWs over into the quarries of Hodge Close etc. From there, head for the lane behind Tarn Hows (tarn towards Coniston) and find the BW that goes through Iron Keld plantation and down past High Arnside farm. You’ll end up on the road back to Skelwith Bridge and then Grasmere.
    Keswick/Whinlatter are a 20 minute drive north – tour of Skiddaw and Borrowdale Bash are musts – ask in Keswick Mountain Bikes.
    I could go on……

Garry_Lager

Cheers simon and boxelder- plenty there to get me started. I have about 5 hrs free per day, what do you reckon would be a ball park time for Skiddaw and b bash? I wouldn’t be riding particularly fast, but I’d be on my own so wouldn’t be stopping too often.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Skiddaw is around 4h and BB about 5h, but you can speed up the last bit on the road if needed…

boxelder

Leave your camera at home and take an hour off both times.
    😉
    There’s hours of riding SW and SE of Grasmere – e.g. Garburn Pass is a steady hours pedal from Grasmere.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Routes around grasmere?’ is closed to new replies.