Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Routes around Coniston
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Heading to the Lakes and staying around Coniston.
    I’ve had a good look at the map and can see plenty of bridleways, but looking for some information on what are the best areas to ride. I realise that Grizdale is near by, but looking more for natural routes.

jonk

Walna scar: there is a loop – go up lawson park to grizedale then over to parkamoor and down to sawrey. Head over to Torver and then up hummer lane then over stephensons ground and down to seathwaite. Head up Walna scar and back down to conniston.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jonk + 1

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Had a look on the map, think I know where you mean. Is that one ride, or 2 rides?
    Seems like Sawrey and Seathwaite are quite far apart?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Walna scar: there is a loop – go up lawson park to grizedale then over to parkamoor and down to sawrey Nibthwaite?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s alot of good stuff in and around Grizedale from what I remember….

thefallguy
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a loop of Coniston then you could do worse than riding into Grizedale, doing the first bit of the north face trail then peel off to do a lovely natural decent off Parkamoor then around the bottom of the lake to Blawith before heading on some boggy singletrack over Blawith fell to Torver, then up past Scarr Head to take in the end of Walna Scar road into Coniston, turn up left past the black bull and head up the road take the bw on the right as the road runs out follow the gravel path thro the woods to high yewdale then road to tilberthwaite, have an explore of the tracks round hodge close before heading up over high oxen fell towards knipe fold then back into Grizedale.

d45yth
    Free Member

As others have said, don’t dismiss Grizedale…there’s better trails in and around there than anywhere else near Coniston. It’s such a shame that many folk go there, do the North Face trail and think that’s all the forest has to offer. I only use the start of it on my way up to Parkamoor.
    There’s some good bits on the Walna Scar ride too, especially with the one or two cheeky bits added on. Stephenson Ground has been a bog for a long time but maybe it’s firmed up in these freezing conditions.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Great suggestions, lots of planning to do! Many thanks.

billyboy
    Free Member

I would guess the Walna Scar is going to be frozen…it’s a long way to slide….people get killed doing it.
    On a lower level Torver Common, Woodland Fells and Suberthwaite Common pivoting on Blawith has loads to offer. Broughton Moor forest going over to the upper reaches of the Lickle valley and then over the Dunnerdale Fells (either above Stephenson/Carter etc ground or over Longmire to the Park Head Road, to Hawes, to Ulpha and back over on the track before Stonestar) also has loads to offer. As does Grizedale, keeping away from the NFT, and going over to Claife Heights. The climb up to Lawson Park from Coniston Water and the “entertaining” descent Parkamoor/Nibthwaite are good. Then you have Tilberthwaite, Hodge Close, and the classic route over to Loughrigg Terrace and link up with the trails at back of Tarn Hows.

Shed loads…enjoy

tomaso
    Free Member

You can do an amazing loop all the way around Coniston which should keep you busy for one day.

From Coniston you can do loads of different trails including Grizedale, Parkamoor, Hawkshead, Elterwater, Copper Mines and beyond.

Bogtrotters routes here

And there is so much more to Grizedale than the North Face – loads of natural trails.

johnellison
    Free Member

Walna scar: there is a loop – go up lawson park to grizedale then over to parkamoor and down to sawrey. Head over to Torver and then up hummer lane then over stephensons ground and down to seathwaite. Head up Walna scar and back down to conniston.

That’s a hell of a trek unless you’re a racing whippet – personally I’d head off down the road to Torver to warm up, then head over Broughton Moor to Stephenson Ground; from there over Brockbarrow and down to Seathwaite, then up and over Walna Scar. That said I’d think twice about tackling that route in the current conditions.

A good all day ride would be Lawson Park, Parkamoor, Dad/Grandad/The Dentist, Satterthwaite, over Breasty Haw then Great Intake to Grizedale Tarn; drop down to Esthwaite, then on the road to High Sawrey before taking the bridleway over by Moss Eccles and Wise Een tarns; hang a left on Long Height and drop down to Colthouse before heading into Hawksheads for tea and cake. Then up the bridleway past Ann Tyson’s house to join the NFT back to Grizedale. Stay on the NFT up the “Between Elephants” section up onto the ridge then back down by Lawson park and into Coniston.

iain65
    Free Member

^^^ My in-laws live in Seathwaite so have done the Walna Scar / Stephenson Ground / Seatwaite loop a few times and it’s well worth a try – but it’s under a lot of snow just now.
    Only comment on the route is to maybe try taking a left after Stephenson Ground towards Carter Ground as it’s really boggy going straight up through the valley.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Either of the “Tour of Coniston” maps from the Boggies routes list that Tomaso linked above.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Coniston’ is closed to new replies.