Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Routes around Braemar without a car?
  • FOG

Later in the year I am off to Braemar for a week and hope to do some of the Cairngorm classics I have seen in guide books and mags. However Mrs FOG has invited herself and will certainly want the car as often as possible to compile her ‘Guide to Teashops and Kitsch Krap outlets’ . So what can be done straight out of the village? Obviously I don’t mind doing some road riding but don’t want to waste time and energy hacking loads of road miles.

scotroutes

You can get straight along to Linn of Dee, giving access to White Bridge etc. You can get a good loop going up to Derry Lodge, towards Corrour bothy then South and back East. I’m never sure if that works best clockwise or anti-.

Dunno how fast/fit you are but a loop via Geldie/Feshie to Rothiemurchus and back via the Lairig an Laoigh should be possible too.

Oh the wee hill above the village – Morven – is apparently a nice wee route.

cynic-al
    Free Member

An epic loop via the Linn of Dee through the Falls of Avon too, and a wee one south up a glen then right down some singletrack to the Glenshee road.

I’ve not looked at either on a map for a while hence guff description.

Morven is short but epic, steep long climb then descent with some great tech sections.

kcal

as above, plus — off top of my head

1/ head E along A93 for couple miles, turn in towards Invercauld House, then almost directly N, up and over massive climb, drops down to River Gairn. You could then head E, or N on to Tomintoul (and maybe get your wife to collect you!)

2/ head over towards – turn off onto tracks at Invercauld Bridge, lovely packhorse stone bridge), head for Ballater, very pleasant spin past Balmoral — can then head over towards Loch Muick and return either directly or indirectly..

both quite an undertaking if you really commit to them.

Garry_Lager

Glen Derry then a right at the ford of Avon down Glen Avon, then back to Braemar via Glen Builg is a good ride. Prob be better the other way round actually (anti clock). Not a full-monty epic, but several hours worth of riding. Horrible hike a bike section in the middle though.

Through the ford of Avon, round Bynack more, rothiemurcus and back through the Lairig Ghru would be a monster ride. Need to be quite fit to take that on in a day.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Mt Keen return route… or better still once you get to the top you’ll want to go off the other side – get Mrs FOG to pick you up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Braemar without a car?’ is closed to new replies.