• This topic has 24 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Routes around Bath/Wiltshire, or nearby?
  • argee

I’ve been getting back into the swing of mountain biking since the last knee op seemed to give me some mobility back in January, and have been exploring around and about my area (Bradford on Avon). I’ve found some nice bits in Conkwell Woods, Inwood, Warleigh and some other bits, but was wondering if there were some good areas nearby in Bath, or Wiltshire that locals might recommend, or maybe even bits in those mentioned i may not know?

The main reason for asking is coming back from work i saw a group of mountain bikers setting off at Bathford, but as i only know of Brown’s Folly and paths around there, which i avoid on a bike, i was wondering if there was other stuff around there i’d missed, having not found much in that area from hunting through the woods around Sally in the Wood?

tinybits
    Free Member

Well, you definatly don’t want to go into browns folly as it’s not allowed, or the back of the uni, or in fact conkwell.
    Pipehouse lane is reasonable again and kegal, with the added bonus of a flat run back into town!

argee

For some reason, i just avoid Brown’s Folly, as it’s SSSI, and from discussions, off limits completely. I’ve heard about the back of the uni, but not seen specific routes, i.e. start and finish points, and don’t want to bumble around getting lost?

I did used to go up Pipehouse a few years back as it was on the way back from the old work, just need to get out and about i guess and explore all over again, i’ve forgotten most of what i used to do before the knee issues kicked in, and guess i was just hoping for some maps or starting points to kick start exploring further afield.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yes, brown is a site of SSI, however if once you realise that it’s an old quarry and almost everywhere other than the main track through has been driven over to chop most of the trees down in the last couple of months, you get a lot less worried about a couple of tyre marks!

The uni is a collection of downhill tracks, from the back of the uni to the A36. I often ride from Bear Flat in Bath, upto the uni, drop down the back, cross the A36 and canal, up to browns, across the road and cut xc to the top of conkwell, then climb on the road through freshford, drop down pipehouse and back along the new 2 tunnels cycleway. There’s a fair amount of road, but really it’s not a bad 3hr loop (or longer in my current, just had 2nd child flabby condition!)

Gilles

Wiltshire:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh4r92O8aBY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuwQDDmsp0M[/video]

Somerset:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb7hviosslQ[/video]

orangeboy
    Free Member

I do rather like folly and conkwell , have you been through the fence on the left just at the start of the path at conkeell rather than going down the rough as buggerty stone bit

argee

Cheers, might give the back of the uni a try, as i tend to head up near there quite a bit, but always tend to head the other way via Warleigh.

argee

I’ve been around that bit in Conkwell, and up and around, as well as linking through to Inwood/Warleigh, but with all the talk, i may have to give Brown’s a quick once over, it would be easier as well to link in for me, so might have a look this weekend, cheers for the pointers.

p.s, relating to the youtube video, what/where is bluebell’s?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

There are at least 2 groups of Bath riders that head out on a Wednesday night. I’m sure there are some people on here who know the details, meet up places times etc.

I can’t remember them off the top of my head, never been brave enough to join in!

eskay

You can get onto a bridleway just out of Weston village that takes you across the Kelston ridge, into North stoke and then on to Lansdown Golf Course. You can eventually come out on the road just past the race course, cross the road and follow another bridleway (starts in a field)that eventually drops down into Langridge.

Gilles

p.s, relating to the youtube video, what/where is bluebell’s?

Erlestoke Wood. Ok a bit further south from Bath, not that close.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

UrbanHiker – Member

There are at least 2 groups of Bath riders that head out on a Wednesday night. I’m sure there are some people on here who know the details, meet up places times etc.

I can’t remember them off the top of my head, never been brave enough to join in!

That would have been ‘The Others’ you saw meeting up in Bathford, at the bottom of the climb up to Browns, they ‘roam’ and meet somewhere different each week, tasso or llama on here are your best bet.

There’s another group that meet central Bath (Widcombe) every Weds at 6.30pm. On the ‘island’ between the crossings, over the bridge behind the Railway Station.

There’s also a group that meet in Trowbridge every week and generally ride B-o-A way, pint at Avoncliff at the end usually, Fin on here.

And there’s also a Mon night group, I think 7pm in Batheaston.

The descent off Bannerdown (the old airfield) is worth seeking out too.

Understand the reluctance to ride Browns – it is sensitive and we steer clear at weekends. We could get into a long debate, there are no ‘legal’ trails in the area but we’ve been riding there for 25 years and there was far more ‘damage’ done when Avon Wildlife Trust bought the land and created several logging roads and took out all the commercial timber.

argee

I’m in Trowbridge, so Erlestoke isn’t that far away, is there any routes of the good bits?

As for Brown’s, i’m not against going up there, it’s just a little too busy at times for my liking, and as you say, weekends are a bit of a nightmare for grief, which is about the only time i can get out on a serious ride. Would be interested in anything around BoA that i might have missed, although i’m guessing it’s the canal path with the linked up bridleways/paths, or via the river?

llama

No no Andy, you are the ‘others’. Anyway it was not us as we have taken to meeting at the George for alfresco beers and wasabi

Good stuff up lansdown some nice wide rocky stuff, a nice rooty chute, and the secret rocky steps.

Some stuff to the south

All on your handy os publication and/or explore strava segments

Browns is the awsumz at the moment, but I only assume this from when I walked the dog up there they other day.

Could be worse

Post your mail and I’ll get you on our everliving ever growing email list. Once you’re on, you can never get off.

orangeboy
    Free Member

There is a group based in westbury that ride earlstocke /
    Longleat a fair bit , but can’t for the life of me remember the name of there face book page

llama

Black cannon collective?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nope not the black cannon Group , more large informal group rather than proper club.
    Grr It will come to me

argee

Emails ryan.gallagher@blueyonder.co.uk, i’ve been looking at some of the strava stuff, but a lot of climbs/descents listed, wouldn’t mind trying Erlestoke or Brown’s, if there’s a decent round trip, or i can link them up.

I guess i need to get a day off during the week to do some of this stuff, although i’ve timed it perfectly with the school holidays, one of the reasons for asking the wider question is that i know the ones i use just now are not that great in wet conditions, so having a look further afield.

roger_mellie

Orangeboy, were you thinking of Salisbury Plain Area Mountain bikers (SPAM)? Their next event is here:
    link

Gilles

i’m based in Westbury but I never heard of a mtb group there – I heard of the Westbury Wheelers, but there are only roadies.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nope nither spam or the wheelers , bound to bump into one of them during the week , will ask maybe they are just a large group of friends with t-shirts and a face book page.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Found a strava page

Squeelers wheelers , westbury

App.strava.com/clubs/squeelers-wheelers

Gilles

Impressive – but they don’t seem to hang around STW tower. I really wonder what they can talk about when they are out riding then.

beaker

@ Gilles. I’m just south of Warminster when I’m home (work overseas). If you want to get out for a pedal give me a shout, email in profile.

DanW
    Free Member

I would second what others have said in getting together with a group ride.

If you want to explore by yourself then you can’t go too far wrong with any of the bridleways or by-ways around Bath, especially in the sunnier weather when the ground is firm. Exploring in Winter can be a bogfestroulette 😀 When in doubt explore a new trail down hill and climb up somewhere you know is passable or a road. Nothing worse than trying to push up a steep, overgrown bog!

Around Bath there are trails in pretty much every direction. If you are in Trowbridge then maybe these places are worth an explore straight out of your front door:

Pipehouse
    Limpley Stoke in to Monkton Combe
    Southstoke/ Combe Hay/ Englishcombe By-ways and bridleways
    There looks to be a lot around Peasedown St. John/ Norton St.Phillip/ Hinton Charterhouse I am yet to explore.

There is plenty more besides this too. All of the above are general areas but look for the bridleways and by-ways (Bing maps for example) in these areas and you can’t go too far wrong in the Summer. If you just want an easy flat ride then there is a good network of canal paths, and bike paths as I am sure yo already know 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Bath/Wiltshire, or nearby?’ is closed to new replies.