Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Routes around Baslow Edge?
  • hugin
    Free Member

Just been looking at the map planning a midweek ride and I'm too full of curry to think straight…

I'm thinking of setting off from the car park at the top of the edge (yeah, finish with a climb, must be a better idea) and taking in Baslow edge, Hassop Common/Deep Rake but then again the cheekiness of Curbar/Froggatt look interesting.

Any suggestions for a route round that way? ta.

hugin
    Free Member

yes? no?

abductee
    Free Member

This one? http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Baslow I don't know if it's any good because its been years since I've been in those parts.

hugin
    Free Member

Ta. That's useful.

We did a Curbar Edge > Baslow > Pilsley > Hassop > Curbar loop the other week.

We ended up doing it slightly wrong, which turned out to be better than the route in the White Peak guide – but it was still a bit crap.

hugin
    Free Member

Hmm, not filling me with excitement for it The Artist… but I might still give it a go…
    …but then again Castleton's not that much further up teh road…

hugin
    Free Member

it was still a bit crap.

Hmm. A bit harsh maybe but I wasn't exactly overawed – everytime a bit of track started being fun something less than fun happened… tarmac'd surface, quagmire, it ended etc.

Might explore the quarry area between Stoney Middleton and Hassop a bit more tho'.

Still, it was a nice day for it…

Pook

That white peak book route I did the other way once and wasn't amazed. Some nice stuff on the quarry trail in the same book though

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to love the old Baslow loop with the final run from Curbar Edge (sod of a road climb) down into Baslow. I remember riding it and finding that the final decent has been tarmacked. I was almost in tears. (plus all the rotting leave litter on the tarmac what pretty sketchy). Not really been back since although on of the V graphics books has a little ride that skirts around the quarry near there still.

DWH
    Free Member

We did a Curbar Edge > Baslow > Pilsley > Hassop > Curbar loop the other week… but it was still a bit crap.

Oh I dunno', it's a pleasant enough way to spend an hour.

hugin
    Free Member

. I remember riding it and finding that the final decent has been tarmacked. I was almost in tears.

Yeah, Ikept thinking about what it could have been like as it was shaping up nicely before that.

Still, it sounds like the quarry route might be worth the drive

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Baslow Edge?’ is closed to new replies.