Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Routes around Aviemore
  • Ceebug
    Free Member

Hi, we are looking for recommendations for good 'all day' type rides around Aviemore. We want to get right out into the wilds and in amongst some spectacular scenery. Our group will be of varying technical abilities, but all fit. The last time I was up there was racing at the Grundig World Cup at Rothiemurchus around 20 years ago, so all suggestions are greatfully received! Thanks….

beinbhan

go into Bothy bikes at Inverdruie they have maps showing loads of routes in the area

domino

1+ what beinbhan said. We were on holiday there in June and they were incredibly nice, suggested some routes for us and sorted mrdomino with a missing bolt from their spares box. Spent some money on maps, snacks, magazine and bits while we were in there.

j_me
    Free Member

Wot domino said.
    Or see here

druidh
    Free Member

On no account head for Badaguish.

That would be a very bad thing to do.

kennyp
    Free Member

Our group will be of varying technical abilities

The Burma Rd should suit then. Nothing technical, but a big climb to start the day. Great scenery too.

Or the Glenmore – Ryvoan – Nethy Bridge – An Sluggan etc route.

aviemoron
    Free Member

beinbhan +1, druidh +1, it's very wet and just needs a rest.

geoffj

LOL @ Druidh

Ceebug
    Free Member

Hi,

I am well aware of the issues surrounding Badaguish and have read the previous thread on this topic. That's why I asked for advice on 'where to go' rather than 'where not to go'. Thanks all the same.

We will be a group of 3 experienced bikers. When I say 'varied technical abilities' I meant we are not interested in big drops, jumps and the like, just good old fashioned low-impact xc mountainbiking (preferably involving big hills & some singletrack).

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. We will duly drop by Bothy Bikes and see what they're saying.

Sanny
    Free Member

Bothy Bikes are great. I can also highly recommend Fat Tread Bikes as well.

For my money, I'd do

Lairigh Ghru singletrack
    Lochan Eilan and the smaller adjacent loch
    Inchriach
    Burma Road with descent on the Aviemore side and not the full loop.
    Mealle a Buchaille
    Loop round Badaguish and take in Braes of Abernethy and Loch Garten

All good stuff. Off up there this weekend for a bit of an epic! 4 munros in one ride – sweet! 😀

Ceebug
    Free Member

Sanny – thank you. That is just the sort of info I was looking for. Much appreciated! Your trip this weekend sounds brilliant. 4 munros in one ride is definately pretty epic. It looks like it's going to be fantastic weatherwise up here too this weekend which always helps 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Routes around Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.