• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Route suggestions – Innerleithen based XC loop to Glentress (and back)
  • GavinB

I’ve ridden around Glentress and Innerleithen loads, but am ashamed to say I’ve never done any big loops to combine the two. In a few weeks time, I’ve got a ‘boys weekend’ based at Innerleithen, with a bunch of guys who I guess are more XC than DH, and fancy getting some miles in, with a good loop to show off some of the more natural trails, as well as the trail centre stuff.

Two days riding, so I’m thinking a big XC/trail day, then a second (shorter) day either doing laps of Caddon Bank or else just playing around Red/Blue at GT.

For the bigger day, I’ve done some trawling on Strava and can find some ideas including Gypsy Glen, the golf course and other areas, but linking them all together is the key.

Any ideas or suggestions?

goodgrief
    Free Member

Gypsy glen linked into Cademuir with a lap of Glentress using the Janet’s Brae climb if you’ve still got the legs on the way back.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Or, onto the SUW at Minch Moor, ride to the 3 Brethren and find the trails there, ride back.

bajsyckel

I started typing before goodgrief’s 2nd post, but basically similar to that. Maybe a figure of 8 with Innerleithen at the centre/ start/ finish, linking those bits you’ve been looking at already. With a map/ online map/ strava to hand the following should be pretty obvious…

Warm up with some stuff from the golf course (if that’s your bag) then over the river to climb up the XC route to the top of the Minch Moor. After the top part of the descent turn onto the Southern Upland Way, traverse the tops to the Three Brethren. Descend into Yair Forest, exploring the various tracks aiming to eventually end up on the back road for an easy spin back toward Innerleithen. Well before that turn off the road into Elibank/Traquair forest, and use the forestry tracks to gain enough height to pick up one of any of the Innerleithen descents (marked or unmarked) that end at or near the 7 stanes car park. Head into Innerleithen for food if necessary. Follow the back road past Traquair, aiming for Cardrona where you can follow paths or tracks to access the Gypsy Glen route. At the bottom of this, before heading into Peebles you can detour via tracks through the trees to Cademuir. After a few bits and pieces here, head into town, follow the path by the river round the rugby ground to the main road. Cross the road and ascend Janet’s Brae until the Buzzard’s nest car park in Glentress. Do whatever you fancy in Glentress before finally returning to Innerleithen using the link route (or following the track off the top of the black down to Leithen lodge or similar, but there are better ways to lose height IMO). Not sure about the distance but it’s a decent day out if conditions are good.

GavinB

Thanks for the replies!

The 3 Brethren option sounds interesting, never heard of that area. I’ll dig around for actual descents.

What’s the Janet’s Brae climb you mention? Is that on an OS map, or a local name?

bajsyckel

RE Janet’s Brae – not sure if it’s on the OS map, but it’s a link that folk from Peebles use to access Glentress and the name is pretty widely used.

To go up from Peebles you can access it from the main road that heads out of town towards Innerleithen/ Glentress car parks etc. If you were heading along this way, just before you get out of the 30mph speed limit (and just after the playing fields on the right) there is a road on the left that goes up towards the back of Peebles Hydro. Go up for 100m or so and there is a massive FC sign saying Janet’s Brae that you can’t really miss signalling the start.

GavinB

Nice one, that makes sense now.

Diane
    Free Member

Struth Baisyckel – you trying to kill him? 😯

br
    Free Member

For the 3B and Yair just do a Strava search over it, there are 3 full runs off it – and can be easily reached high level from Minch Moor.

Local and happy to show you around – EIP

Also Gypsy Glen, Cademuir and GT or Inners then a bit of the Golfie and onto GT or a 2-hill route using Inners (off-piste too) and Golfie.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Route suggestions – Innerleithen based XC loop to Glentress (and back)’ is closed to new replies.