Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Route planning on OS maps
  • munkster
    Free Member

So, I have lots of Tracklogs licences for various parts of the country and this served me well for (mainly road) route planning for years but then when Strava (and the Veloviewer OS overlay) route planning came out I was in my element and found it perfect. Being able to discern between a “big” road and a “not so big” road was very handy along with the way it snaps to roads easily.

But then the OS overlay thing was stopped and I find it much harder to do the routing/discerning stuff on OSM or whatever Strava defaults to, and Tracklogs just seems too clunky having to click on every single point on the route between two routes in order that it doesn’t just straight line it.

What are my alternatives then in an attempt to best replicate what I used to have? The only route planning thing I am aware of with OS mapping is BikeHike but it doesn’t feel easy to use working with the small window.

Anyone got any great tips on this? Am I after the impossible? Cheers.

scotroutes

Are you prepared to pay £20 per year for the use of all OS 1:50K and 1:25K mapping? if so then the Ordnance Survey OS Maps site might be all you need.

But again, you need to click on all the points.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use bikehike a lot but it may not have adequate export options for you? I just take a screenshot and print if necessary. Good feature is automatic following of roads but the option of point by point off-road too.

Sorry just saw you mention bikehike. You can zoom the Windows quite helpfully with a bit of care.

munkster
    Free Member

scotroutes: I have all the OS sections I need for Tracklogs really so the OS thing wouldn’t really give me anything I don’t already have by the sound of it

thecaptain: I only need a gpx export (to go to Garmin) and I *have* used it but not ideal I find

I think I may be after a moon-on-a-stick thing here. Unless I persevere with BikeHire. It’s not *terrible* obviously but just not ideal.

slowoldman

I still have an ancient version of Anquet mapping and I’ve stubbornly refused to upgrade to anything else. All the newer stuff seems very clunky to me by comparison. Also I think the old Anquet digital terrain model is more accurate than most (I think it was OS’s own).

I do use Bikehike for areas where I have no Anquet OS mapping.

Caher

Bump.
    Living for the time being in a new area and wondering if I should stay with tracklogs for exploring,?

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – though I’d happily upgrade to something newer if it didn’t cost me, as clearly there is extra useful stuff. Though I guess the main one is that I’d like to have maps on my phone, and I’m now using Oruxmaps for that which works well (and I have a complete 1:50k and 1:25k database I can generate maps for that 😉 )

Though none of those will do routing in the way the OP wants – the question I’d like to add is whether there’s anything which will do routing on BWs (and FPs 😯 ) – does BikeHike do that?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Route planning on OS maps’ is closed to new replies.