Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Route needed for Exmoor/Dartmoor or nearby.
  • BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn & I are off to Devon/Cornwall for a few days surfing etc. Staying at somewhere called Milton Damerel, between Bude & Gt Torrington.

The weather looks better for riding than sunbathing on Sunday, so we'll probably go biking that day.

I guess a 20 mile route, mostly offroad with some interesting bits would be perfect (I'm singlespeeding, she likes stuff like CyB, but wouldn't be thrilled with mahoosive rock gardens and mega steep stuff in either direction).

Any suggestions within an hour's drive? I've borrowed a Garmin Edge if there's a memory map type route.

(I'll swap your route for some secret stuff on Cannock Chase!)

BigJohn

Oooh – just seen the Dartmoor Route Guide in issue 49 of the mag. Those look good. Has anybody got the gpx files for them?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bit further than an hour away, but I'll be driving from Barnstaple to the Quantocks on Monday. I'll also email you a local route from Barnstaple.

thepurist

If you've got the route guide & t'interweb, a quick visit to bikehike.co.uk should let you create the GPXs

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Ah, I'll need your email address.

trailmonkey

I did the routes for the mag. Put your email addy on here and I'll send you the gpx files.

BigJohn

john-westgayt AT ntlworld DOT com

Thanking you all

trailmonkey

ygm

BigJohn

And I've put the full visible email address in my profile now.

Sponging-Machine – I thought there wasn't a lot around Barnstaple, but I'm keen to find what there is.

BTW where is the best place for windsurfing in strongish westerlies?Instow, Westward Ho!, Bude or Widemouth Bay?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Instow is your best bet for flat water as it's sheltered from swell. Easy to launch from too.

Westward Ho!/Northam would perhaps be a better choice as there's less rocks, although I'm not much of a windsurfer and don't really know much about it. There's normally plenty of kitesurfers there and at Saunton when it's a strong onshore. There is a local windsurfing club that could offer better advice

The riding around Barnstaple isn't epic (hence why I bought a road bike), but it may offer some fun as you're about this way.

BigJohn

Oops, sorry S-M, I was busy emailing you when you replied about the sailing. Thanks for the info, and the Barnstaple route will be appreciated when you email it.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

No problem. It does look like it's gonna be onshore but a certain rocky left point might be working.

BigJohn

Thanks for the Barnstaple route, but you've out-obscured me on the

certain rocky left point

reference. Is that from Apocalypse now, or Big Wednesday, or is it somewhere I should know in Devon (Puts?)

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Definitely not Puts, and that's as much as I'm allowed to say.

BigJohn

We had a lovely August day on Dartmoor yesterday – heavy rain, wind, thick fog etc, which was all the prompting we needed to seek shelter in the East Dart Hotel, so we decided to try the carvery, and a couple of pints, and then we rode back to the car and came home.

Friday and Saturday were brilliant – Overpowered blasting on a 5m sail at Instow, then messing about in onshore-windblown surf at Widemouth Bay.

Thanks for the advice guys, we'll be down again to do the rides properly. Maybe in February, when the weather is a bit more reliable.

jam-bo

certain rocky left point

Definitely not Puts, and that's as much as I'm allowed to say.

lynmouth is hardly a secret spot now is it….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Route needed for Exmoor/Dartmoor or nearby.’ is closed to new replies.