Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Route inspiration required – Hamilton, Scotland
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Can anyone give me directions or a route map for an off road route in, around or a short drive from Hamilton?

Heading up there to the in-laws this weekend.

Cheers!

enduro-aid
    Free Member

heh I’m from Hamilton

best bet for a quick blast is Chatelherault Country Park just outside hamilton between hamilton and larkhall

not very difficult but good for a short ride takes about 1.5 hours to cover it all

look for the access to the visitors centre behind the big house and head left and keep going one big loop will bring you back to the same place

any questions feel free to mail me

radoggair
    Free Member

clyde valley paths are really good

seosamh77
    Free Member

train straight to mugdock from hamilton. route map for you(although you can do a million variations on this, this is just a big loop that will take you round a wack of it..)
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/27126908

here’s a route i did out chatelherault way, only did it once though might be more.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/28743732

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Chatelherault is only 10 mins ride from the house so might try that. Isn’t cycling prohibited there tho? Will check out those links too.

If anyone wants to show me round on Fri, Sat or Sun drop me a mail!

Thanks!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Should be around one of these days and can take you a route round Chatelherault, Dalziel Estate, Cambusnethan Woods, Clyde Valley Walkway. Probably quite busy though as bank hols and nice weather!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Nice one bigbaws, ill drop u a mail shortly

poly
    Free Member

Isn’t cycling prohibited there tho?

Actually cycling is legal in most places in Scotland, provided you do so responsibly. I don’t know the route you are considering but vaguely remember the “park” consisting of large grounds/woods, and then a house with surrounding gardens etc. Riding in the gardens is not acceptable. Responsible riding in the wood would normally be acceptable – however as someone else points out on a warm Easter weekend it is likely to be very busy which will mean either you are riding irresposibly or your enjoyment will be interupted a lot.

I’d have thought you were more likely to get “unimpeded” riding on the cathkin braes which are not too far away from Hamilton…

I’m guessing none of the Commonwealth course is built yet: http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Parks_Outdoors/cathkinconsultation.htm but there are “natural” routes around there – normally a bit muddy but its the weather has been dry recently.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

the commonwealth route is actually 90% built just not marked out

Johnbot
    Free Member

Cathkin Braes is my local haunt, probably only an hours cycling around there but there is a good mix of steep and fast. about 5 mins drive from Hamilton. Extra dry just now too.

imnotamused
    Free Member

bigdugsbaws – Sent you a mail. Did you get it? Not sure I’ve read your email addy correctly?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Dont have access at work, will catch it in a few hours.

thegman67

Were going out after work on Friday meeting at the Boathouse(shore side) at Strathclyde park 530pm going round chatters and Clyde valley you can join us if ur about

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer thegman! I’ll see what happens with bigbaws first.

Sanny
    Free Member

Glennifer Braes – lots of nice stuff up there particularly over towards Johnstone. Seeconds on the stuff in the Clyde Valley. Rode the Clyde Walkway to New lanark and back last April. Really nice day ride.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Route inspiration required – Hamilton, Scotland’ is closed to new replies.