Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Route for The Ridgeway
  • uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just put riding The Ridgeway in a day on my to do list. Does anyone have a good route for the bit from Ivinghoe Beacon to Streatley avoiding the footpath sections but still staying as close to The Ridgeway as possible?

racefaceec90

i am interested in doing this someday.it is annoying that you cannot ride all of it.

singletracksurfer

Doh, you just missed the British Heart Foundation event.

It’s in the South East book by http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk which is out of print now and it’s not in the replacement package but there is a pdf version. e-mail and ask.

TheWrongTrousers

Hi. I live near Ivinghoe and ride around there all the time. My advice is just ride the footpaths, there’s some great routes at that end of the Ridgeway.
    I’ll happily point you in the right direction if you need any help.
    Cheers
    TWT

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Thanks TWT. I had considered the cheeky option. I reckon if I did it mid week there shouldn’t be too many ramblers around to complain and having signs to follow would speed things up.

TheWrongTrousers

There’s a couple of footpaths that lead you from Tring station up to a village called Wigginton that are a pain because of kissing gates etc, but if you have a quick look at an OS map you can avoid these easily by taking the canal towpath along to a place called Cow Roast (yes, really) and then up the hill via Bridleways or singletrack road, or alternatively ride into Tring via Marshcroft Lane and go up to Wigginton through Tring Park. Both are preferable to the footpath bits, but they’re not very long.
    From Wigginton it’s good all the way.
    This is assuming you’re going Soyth to North of course ….
    Midweek there will be very few people about, so enjoy !
    TWT

TheWrongTrousers

Sorry, that should have been North to South …..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Ta. Will be doing it East to West as I live near Marlborough so want to finish near home.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Route for The Ridgeway’ is closed to new replies.