Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Route Advice Wastwater
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

I’m staying near Wastwater and looking for a route or two in that area.

I’ve been reading about Blacksail pass but would prefer something with a bit less hike a bike.Looking at 3-4 hours riding

Any suggestions?

Links to gpx files would be great

Garry_Lager

The VP Lakes book has a loop from eskdale green up mitterdale to maiden castle cairn, then descend down to Boot and back up Eskdale.

I’ve not ridden it, but am camping in Eskdale this w/e with family so was looking to work a quick-ish ride in – so interested to hear what others suggest. It looks an easy enough loop that you could work into something bigger if you felt like it.

Sven

The loop Garry suggests is better done the other way around in my opinion. Starting at the North-east end of Wastwater, take the bridleway to Burnmoor Tarn (hard to make out the path the higher you are, you’ll have to climb over a fence and stay to the right and above the Tarn), then a fantastic long exposed downhill into Miterdale, then either to the road or better, take the forest track up to Irton Fell and down the other side towards Nether Wasdale, but that is VERY steep/unrideable in some places (for me, at least) but very nice.
    Just about to reply to the other (Eskdale Green) thread. Happy to chat tomorrow, Garry, as well…
    I don’t have GPX files, but while shorter, the route above is mainly ridable, whereas everything that leads North or East from Wasdale Head will involve a lot of hike and bike.

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’m staying at Nether Wasdale so that route sounds ideal

cheers chaps

TomB

Ok, it involves hike a bike, but Wasdale Head gives you access to the classic 4 passes route: up to Styhead pass, down to seathwaite, over honister to Buttermere then scarth gap and black sail pass back to wasdale. Classic STW answer- too long, you specified no hike a bike etc, but had to suggest it! Alternatively, Styhead- Borrowdale-Langstrath-Stake pass-Angle tarn-Esk Hause-Sprinkling Tarn-Sty head and back to Wasdale Head.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Garry, Windy,

have mailed you both some routes

Check my awesome cartography!

windysurfer
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Route Advice Wastwater’ is closed to new replies.