Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Route Advice – Kettlewell and Starbotton
  • domino

I keep looking at the map round Kettlewell and Starbotton and see many bridleways I have yet to discover. I’ve been trying to plot a logical route and was thinking of this one:
    Start at Starbotton, Road to Buckden, up the bridleway through Rakes Woods leading up onto Buckden Pike. (Then I am a bit stuck, can I get from Buckden Pike via the memorial cross to the bridleway that meets the Walden Road? The bridleway up onto Buckden ends at the cairn). Then I would go down Walden Road to Starbotton, along the bridleway along the valley to Kettlewell. From Kettlewell up Top Mere Road (Track) and down Starbotton Cam Road to the start/finish.

I wanted to plan something that was a circular route – I have looked in my various books for inspiration but the routes all seem a bit short. Also, knowing the terrain, looking for easy climbs and fab downhills.

Any one got any better routes they have done or any advice on the bridleways round there.

Thanks

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would say you should be able to get along the ridge, but I've only been near there once, dropping down Grove End, which was all very squishy grass, but the ridge line may drain better. I'd be inclined to drop straight down to Kettlewell the way you said you'd go up – it's an exciting fast rocky downhill but a slogtastic climb (IMO)

domino

Cheers Simon – I wondered if you possibly knew round there.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Like Simon said. I did it once & it was Boggy with a capital B! Whatever you do make sure you come down the b/way into Starbotton that comes out next to the pub. Awesome!

pennine
    Free Member

Go when it's like this otherwise you'll be flogging your way through big boggy areas (doesn't change much in a normal summer).

Imagine what this looks like at the minute 😥

The 2 big descents are either side of the valley above Starbottom. The right one being the better of the two. My in-laws live in Kettlewell so I often nip out for a couple of hours when visiting with the missus.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Route Advice – Kettlewell and Starbotton’ is closed to new replies.