Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Route advice around Glen Affric
  • tjagain

Me and t’missus have 3 days off and fancy going to Glen Affric – its been a decade or more since we have been there and fancy going back. Problem being we want nice easy trails – some of the classics there would be too much for a pootling tandem ride. Obviously the out and back to the youth hostel would be fine for one day. any other ideas for nice easy double track riding suitable for fat scardy tandemeers? Or any other ideas? I find myself short on inspiration.

Looking for scenery, autumn trees, 30 – 40 mile days preferably loops so we don’t have to take camping kit, double track for most of it and minimal “drag your bike thru a swamp”

Ta folks

scotroutes

If you don’t mind a bit of tarmac and a there-and-back then also look at Glen Strathfarrar.

The Affric-Kintail way is signposted from Cannich and you’d manage all of that to the YH (though the bit past Strawberry Cottage is maybe more rough than you remember).

You could also head along the Drumnadrochit-Cannich section of the AKW but there’s a steep hill just out of Drum that might tax you a little.

FWIW trees have barely started turning. Should be imminent though.

tjagain

Ta Got our granny gears for the hills.

scotroutes

The GGW is another possibility. If you do, then definitely visit the wee eco-cafe at Abriachan.

tjagain

Ta times we have ridden with you we have struggled more than we usually do – honest! – once a route gets to the point of having to dab or stop often it becomes very slow for us ‘cos of the time stopping and starting takes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me and t’missus

Teej, are you actually a closet Yorkshireman?? 😉

Some pals & me did from Cannich to Camban & back 4 years ago. Outward was on the south side of Loch Affric which was steady away. Could be dodgy on a tandem after Allthbieth the youth hostel though. We came back on the north side of the loch which I’d imagine would also be a bit nadgery on a tandem, but not for too long.
    One problem we encountered was some logging operations on a track we used. Bogfest & pushy shovey.

Did see a Golden Eagle on the way back though. I’m absolutely sure it wasn’t a Buzzard. 😉

tjagain

I did my primary school in Keithley. t’missus is doncaster thru and thru

tjagain

Looks like there should be enough to keep us entertained for a couple of days then around that area without t’missus killing me for making her drag the bike thru a swamp

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I did my primary school in Keithley. t’missus is doncaster thru and thru

& I thought you were Jockanese through & through! (the dodgy non accent threw me though) 🙂

I’m sure there’ll be loads of suitable trails for tandem & t’missus, just avoid the forestry ops if you can. Easier said than done sometimes. 🙄

Anyway, enjoy & post some pics.

BTW, you spelled ‘Keighley’ wrong!

tjagain

Na I’m full on mongrel. Born in the west country, primary school in Yorkshire, secondary in glasgow, nurse training in Manchester, now live in Edinburgh share 60% of my genes with the sami people, most of the rest Saxon with a bit of viking.

the real bitch is I could have been a Bath and England rugby fan and won something- but somehow ended up edinburgh and Scotland and lived thru decades of pure mince 🙄 😳 😕 😈

CraigW
    Free Member

Some nice tracks from Tomich along to Plodda Falls and Guisachan House, plenty of impressive trees. And along towards Cougie.

You could try the powerline track towards Glen Moriston, I think its not too rough, though a bit of a hill.

Or the Orrin Reservoir loop? Not done it for a while, not sure what the track is like.

murf
    Free Member

The last singletrack part of the descent from Abriachan to Drum on the GGW would be tough going on a tandem!

If you don’t mind hills too much you can go from Drum to Ft Augustus and back on the GGW. Or even just to invermoriston and back.

tjagain

Ta Craig

Murf – descents are OK -ie we have done GT red and glen Kingl ass with a trailer! Its when we can’t keep momentum up we struggle. Or places where you would take a dab on a solo. too much stop and start makes for very slow progress.

scotroutes

Or the Orrin Reservoir loop? Not done it for a while, not sure what the track is like.

Given the recent rainfall, the singletrack descent will be minging. Plus, I think there’s still the issue of a locked gate at each end. It’s bad enough trying to get a normal bike by them.

There’s also the South Loch Ness Trail in the general area TJ. I’d pay good money to see you descending off the Fair Haired Lads Pass. 🙂

tjagain

Sounds like a challenge that I can decline ;-). this trips for pootling.

Gates are not huge issue – there is two of us to lift it over and we have become quite adept at doing it ( unless its deer fence gates in which case we just sit and cry)

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on what version of the Orrin loop, it doesn’t have to include singletrack. I was thinking of the track down to Erchless.
    Yes, the gates could be annoying – think they are high deer gates. Might have a kissing gate at the side, but could be a squeeze to get a bike through.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The midgies will help you forget about the gates.

tjagain

Always the optimist Steven! I won’t forget my smidge.

Affic out and back sat ( IIRC south of the loch is all double track, North side has some rougher bits), Glen Strathfarrar out and back sun. some options for a pootle around monday

Thanks chaps. I had a mental block on routes

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you ask nicely they might open the gate for you. Going to the outside toilet at the YH was won of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

tjagain

The deed is done. Two lovely out and back rides up Glen affric and Gn strathfarrar. Ta for the inspiration. Just what was needed
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Z4W7aP]IMG_1061[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/XQ9vmV]IMG_0959[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

scotroutes

TJ – I was thinking about you at the weekend. Metalheart and I did a Garve- Ullapool trip that would be right up your street. You’ve done the Croick – Ullapool bit already I think. You could even start at Contin or Strathpeffer.

I know it’s a logistical issue for you with the Tandem but there’s always the option of returning on the road too.

tjagain

*adds to list* thats sort of thing might be best as a part of a multiday loop towing the camping kit send me a detailed route please? Edit – sussed it

scotroutes

Pretty much all pedalable. Just make sure you go along the north side of Loch an Daimh and not the Strathmulzie way. Strathrannoch and Strathvaich are both options. The latter has more tarmac and doesn’t feel so “wild”. Some photos on my Facebook/Flickr feeds and I might post some up here later. Here’s your starter for 10 though

P1040616 by Colin CaddenFlickr2BBcode
    DMC-TZ40, undefined@31.3 mm, f5.4, 1/400s, ISO160

tjagain

looks lovely. I have my eye on the estate roads around altnabreac station as well.

scotroutes

Yeah – there’s a big loop that might just work if the single track east of the Crask Inn is rideable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Route advice around Glen Affric’ is closed to new replies.