Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • "Rounds of bread" – northern or in general use?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Where I live (Salford) the SI unit of bread is the Round. As in “how many rounds of bread do you want with your soup?” just wondering if this is a local term. What do you call a slice of bread – apart from the obvious?

yunki
    Free Member

That sounds like perhaps an indicator of how poor mancunians are.. in the developed world ‘how many rounds’ refers to how many sandwiches you want..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Rounds of toast” used in Essex.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

I’m confused now by yunki as up in scotchland I used round but now can’t decide if it was for a slice or sandwich. Help

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve never understood if a “round” referred to one slice of bread or a sandwich made of two slices?

robbo
    Free Member

But it depends… 2 slices is a round of sandwiches; 1 slice is a round of bread.

And rolls go with soup not slices 😉

Drac

Heard of rounds of toast but not untoasted bread.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Round of sandwiches here in Harrogate – ie two slices.

Drac

Oh and yes round of sandwiches come to think of it. So no then bread in it’s naked for then, that’s slices.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

But it depends… 2 slices is a round of sandwiches; 1 slice is a round of bread.

So it’s a pretty useless term then, as it can mean different things!

yunki
    Free Member

In Devon we would have said rounds for toast and sarnies but slices for naked bread.. my Nan would have definitely said rounds though..

aP
    Free Member

In the West Midlands a round is 2 slices of bread, in the South West its 1 slice, in London its WTF?

loum
    Free Member

In Surrey its slices of focaccia, rounds of ciabatta.

Sandwich

General use as that renowned Northerner Enid Blyton used to refer to rounds along with lashings of ginger beer.

maccruiskeen

rounds? beer?

Well its a bit early but if you’re buying it would be rude to refuse

Ringo
    Free Member

Round of bread in brum is 2 slices

ste_t
    Free Member

Coming from the West Mids to North Wales was a bit of a shock. A round up here seems to be one slice, tight feckers. 75p for a slice of bread! (so ‘half a round,’ but ‘a slice’ works best in that instance to express the outrage of it all.)

Drac

my Nan would have definitely said rounds though..

Nans should tear drop shaped not round.

john_drummer
    Free Member

a round is what you buy in the pub.

a loaf of sliced bread comes in slices, toasted or not.

(Bradford, a small suburb of Leeds)

Euro
    Free Member

I don’t think the meaning is location specific. My dad and I have different meanings for the term (both from N Ireland). He is of course wrong, as a round of bread can only be one slice. Two slices are two rounds and so on.

However, fold a round of bread in half and it magically becomes a piece. Cut it in half and can become a sandwich. The humble round is incredibly versatile, probably the best thing since sliced bread.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Only ever used rounds for sandwiches, bread was always pieces.

(Bristol, though parents from London).

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Rounds for sandwiches, pieces for bread.

Confused of bournemouth ( but originally from brizzle)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Northerner here. Rounds are “smallest normal sized pieces”

So it’s a pretty useless term then, as it can mean different things!

Not really, a round is a slice of bread, or (to me and mine at least) a sandwich made from a single piece of bread (i.e. folded). You can make two rounds of sandwiches from two rounds of bread. Some people use rounds for the quantity of sandwiches made from two slices of bread, which is a bit confusing. A round is also one beer/drink at a pub. Or one sweet from a tub (which does “the rounds”). Simple, but might as well just use “piece/drink/sweet” I guess.

matt_outandabout

Aye, rounds were common parlance in Sheffield, I have imported it to the unwitting and frankly lingually challenged Scots, mainly the weegies I have to work with. 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

My wife believes that a sandwich is a single slice of bread with topping 🙄

emsz
    Free Member

slices.

rounds of bread is stupid

justatheory
    Free Member

Round of bread always mean’t a slice round my way. I thought it might have had something to do with Milk roll.

mogrim

Deepest, darkest, London Borough of Richmond upon Thames: Round of sandwiches (or even better, beer) and a slice of bread.

nick1962
    Free Member

From Manchester and a round was always one slice.
    Now in Scotland and I will leave it to a local to elaborate on what pieces and ginger or chits and juice mean up here.

mudshark
    Free Member

My wife believes that a sandwich is a single slice of bread with topping

That would be an ‘open’ or ‘unfinished’ sandwich

leffeboy

Rounds for sandwiches, pieces for bread.

Completely wrong. Yer piece is of course your sandwich.

matt_outandabout

No, your piece here is bait down there.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You lot are wierd. 1 bit of bread is a round. 2 is 2 rounds etc. And thats here in the FoD so it must be right. After all it has been proven that its the site of the Garden of Eden.Thats what Adam tucked into.

A sandwich is the bit you pick up. So 2 rounds of bread stuck together with venison is a sandwich. Cut it in two and you have two sandwichs. The term sandwich is the single unit.

djglover
    Free Member

I like baps

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘"Rounds of bread" – northern or in general use?’ is closed to new replies.