Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Round(ish) trip in the UK – Best places to ride (mtb) ?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

So, we’re off on holidays soon, campervan trip around the UK-ish, I’m thinking of heading to south Wales, maybe a bit of north Wales, Lake District, Scotland, back down the east side of the UK, maybe peak District, Yorkshire, nothing really planned yet. But, unknown to the other half I’m aiming to head for good places to ride. Not really interested in trail centres, more natural xc/trail rides, I’ll be riding on my own so nothing too gnarly and I’d rather get in some good miles and scenery. I’m looking for some names of places to ride, I’ll use Viewranger to look for local rides wherever we end up, or google the areas, but also it would be good to look for routes before we go. I’ll look at the trail guide on here and MBUK have a lot of routes on Viewranger too once I’ve got some areas to look at.

So, where to head for – eg Brecon. Maybe Snowdon area isn’t the best place to head for in north wales so where else? Best area in the lakes, etc?

If there’s any other good websites for looking up routes in areas please direct me there too.

I’m looking forward to this trip, just hope the weather gets better!

Thanks 😀

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Wow! So I’ve come back to this after posting nearly 2 days ago and not one reply, does nobody ride bikes on here anymore? 😯 😉

scotroutes

a) the question is too broad.
    b) seems to me you’ll spend all your time driving.

But if you want a suggestion, look for the recent thread on Torridon

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Most of us are out riding

there are numerous threads on the forum about the various places you want to ride.

munrobiker posts an annual thread on a year in the mountains which will give you a fair bit of idea of the various areas

Also look for threads on the Cairngorms and Torridon on here

In addition look for Colin’s flat tyres MTB website which has several routes for Wales, Yorkshire, The Lake D, The Peak D and Border Counties

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Way too broad a question, asking for ideas for good rides almost all over the country 😀

Plenty near me in the vicinity of Saltburn if you end up in the area.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The UK is not short of good riding destinations in all corners. However it sounds like your trip is first and foremost a holiday with your other half and not an MTB tour. You need to pick places with something for your other half to do rather than simply good riding venues. For example the riding in Torridon is fab, but is your other half going to find enough to keep him/her occupied?

I’m thinking of heading to south Wales, maybe a bit of north Wales, Lake District, Scotland, back down the east side of the UK, maybe peak District, Yorkshire, nothing really planned yet

I suggest you get this a bit more nailed down and then we can recommend riding along the way. How long is this trip going to last and when do you plan on going, for example (don’t forget the Summer Scottish midges!). Hitting all those spots is a lot of driving.

In the interests of giving you something to whet your appetite, the Gap Route in Brecon Beacons is a classic ride and relatively straightforward.

jekkyl

Keswick! in the lakes. ride: Borrowdale bash!
    Betwsycoed in North Wales. Ride: Marin with natural add ons or Penmachno.
    Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire.
    Castleton or Hope in the Peak District. ride: Ladybower circuit or Jacobs Ladder.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t discount the SW either, but as others have said how long and when will make a big difference.

ebennett

I’d go pick up the VB guide books for areas you’re thinking of visiting (Wales, Scotland, Peak, Lakes) and seeing what looks good and where the start points are. I’d imagine you could pretty much base yourself anywhere within 10-15 miles of Ambleside and have good riding on your doorstep, and I’d suggest Hope as a base if you’re going to the dark Peak.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m thinking of heading to south Wales, maybe a bit of north Wales, Lake District, Scotland, back down the east side of the UK, maybe peak District, Yorkshire, nothing really planned yet

Scotland is an entire country in its own right, with an awful lot of good riding, midges and changeable weather.

grannyjone
    Free Member

If you’ve not got a Garmin and GPX’s of the routes to follow and/or someone to show you around them then I’d recommend just sticking to trail centres.

There is no need to do loads of driving there are plenty of areas in the UK where you can just stay in one base and have a load of choice of rides.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If you want long natural trails with views then the yorkshire dales has lot to offer. Much less hike-a-bike than the lakes.

jonostevens
    Free Member

If you’re going with your other half I’d be looking for places that are as accessible as possible so you can get out early and straight on to good trails for a couple of hours rather than disappear on all day epics.

I’d be looking at South Wales trail centres (plenty to ride at Afan) and the Quantocks (lots of great trails in small area) to start with.

grannyjone
    Free Member

If you want long natural trails with views then the yorkshire dales has lot to offer. Much less hike-a-bike than the lakes.

Also consider the South Pennines – A lot of the same can be said about the possibilities when riding around Rochdale/Todmorden/Marsden

chakaping
    Free Member

Lakes, Peak, Snowdonia all have plenty to offer in terms of riding and scenery/hiking/tourist activities.

I’d suggest the Llyn Peninsula or the Gower Peninsula for beaches.

Are you gonna have time to get up to the Highlands? How do you feel about midges?

colournoise

We head off on a similar three week trip on Monday. Chance to try out the finally completed van, and route built around a two or three days a week riding for me. We’re doing…

Peak District
    Yorkshire Dales (for ‘Ard Rock)
    Northumberland (no riding planned)
    Loch Lomond
    Skye (no riding planned, but might – anyone know anything good there?)
    Glencoe / Fort Bill
    Oban (no riding planned)
    Dumfries
    Lakes

Ran out of travel time, but we would then have done…

North Wales
    Mid wales
    South Wales
    Shropshire

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Round(ish) trip in the UK – Best places to ride (mtb) ?’ is closed to new replies.