Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rounded off Allen bolts on Hope Mini master cylinder
  • monksie
    Free Member

I’m resigned to buying a new top cap and bolts which is no issue, just £6 but any ideas how I can get the bolts out without damaging the diaphragm underneath?
    The bolts are tiny and slightly recessed. I have to remove the top of the cylinder as the brakes need bleeding. I don’t have a dremel and I don’t think I can get a 2mm drill bit.
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    This is the one and the made of cheese bolt heads http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-master-cylinder-cap-mini-m4/rp-prod3267

wrecker
    Free Member

Hammer in a small torx bit?

Inbred456
    Free Member

You could try a torx head Allen key. It may need a tap to knock it in the rounded off hole. You may be able to drill the head off and hopefully the threaded bit of the bolt will slacken and you will be able to unscrew it. What is the thread size?

somafunk

Use a larger drill bit and just remove as much of the head as you can then use a file to remove the rest and the cap will pull off leaving the bolt threads which will unscrew

monksie
    Free Member

The bolt heads are tiny. I don’t think there is a torx head small enough?

z1ppy

Seem to remember sawing a slot in mine, they stand proud though don’t they, molegrips (carefully) might be the answer err just clicked the link, mine was the original model (no recessed bolts)

somafunk

A T8 torx will prob fit the heads if you go down that route.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dremmel a screw driver slot as a last resort.

chiefgrooveguru

Take it to a bike shop?

captmorgan
    Free Member

Epoxy a Allen key in and unscrew ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rounded off Allen bolts on Hope Mini master cylinder’ is closed to new replies.