Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • roundabouts!
  • Cougar

On an unmarked roundabout, if I’m going straight on, I look in my mirrors to see if someone is behind/beside me and then take the shortest route across the roundabout using both “lanes”

The “racing line” if you must.

Is there a problem doing this?

No. I was explicitly told to do it by an advanced instructor. There’s sod all point in not using all the road if there’s no-one else using it. Same with twisty country lanes when visibility is good.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

On an unmarked roundabout, if I’m going straight on, I look in my mirrors to see if someone is behind/beside me and then take the shortest route across the roundabout using both “lanes”

The “racing line” if you must.

Is there a problem doing this?

No. I was explicitly told to do it by an advanced instructor. There’s sod all point in not using all the road if there’s no-one else using it. Same with twisty country lanes when visibility is good.

A bit late, but, you need to be careful here. ‘Straight lining’ is an advanced technique and only gets taught once your observation and planning are up to scratch.

e.g. in the case of straightening twisty rural roads you need to be absolutely certain of what’s ahead (same as you would before attempting an overtake) and there should be no-one following (who might follow your lead when it wouldn’t be safe for them to do so) otherwise yes, use the full width of the road 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 81 through 82 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘roundabouts!’ is closed to new replies.