Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • roundabouts!
  • mrmo
    Free Member

how difficult is it to understand how to use them? So why do so many people not seem to have a clue?

RealMan
    Free Member

Should have drawn that picture badly on ms paint and used more caps. Very poor. 1/10.

mrmo
    Free Member

this isn’t as rant, i just want to know why it seems so hard to use a roundabout?

Cougar

See that blue line?

See how it doesn’t cross the green one?

WHY DOES NO-ONE ELSE?!

Bastards.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What are those little glowing things on the corners of the cars?

mintimperial

So why do so many people not seem to have a clue?

The answer is in the question…

JoB
    Free Member

what are those orange blobs?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Beat you to it JoB 😉

Cougar

Ah, you two must drive BMWs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How very dare you!

wombat

See that blue line?

See how it doesn’t cross the green one?

WHY DOES NO-ONE ELSE?!

Bastards.

This +1

GrahamS

I cross this A1/A69 roundabout http://g.co/maps/h3taf every day.
    It has very clearly painted lanes on it, with arrows and words.

Every day I see someone sweep clean across the lanes and then back again. Why??

JoB
    Free Member

i don’t drive a BMW, i’ve just never seen those orange glowing things on a roundabout

IanMunro
    Free Member

Where is your green line now?

Cougar

Is that Swindon perchance?

Rich
    Free Member

When I drive in Ibiza each year, the hardest bit is the local drivers stay on the outside of the roundabout, even if going all the way round!

Never sure whether to join them in this bad practice, as otherwise they often try to overtake on the roundabout and cut me off on exit.

GrahamS

Is that Swindon perchance?

or near a hellmouth?

TooTall
    Free Member

What are those little glowing things on the corners of the cars?

ESP enhancers I think – but they NEVER BLOODY WORK!

DezB
    Free Member

I was following a brand new Yaris, right round 2 roundabouts this morning.
    Not one single use of the glowing orange things.
    Was thinking, that is weird, maybe they are not fitting indicator stalks to new cars?
    Then we got onto the motorway slip road… sure enough WHEN ITS COMPLETELY FARKING OBVIOUS TO ALL AROUND WHERE YOU’RE GOING AND THERE IS NOWHERE ELSE TO SODDING WELL GO the f^%$ing right indicator comes a-flashing…

Boils my piss, as they say.

GrahamS

Have to admit that on the roundabout above I don’t usually signal right.

I know I probably should, but I’m on the inside lane of the roundabout, in a clearly painted right-only lane. Where else am I going to go?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I know I probably should, but I’m on the inside lane of the roundabout, in a clearly painted right-only lane. Where else am I going to go?

What about the people on the opposite side of the roundabout to you? They may not know you were originally in the right lane…

GrahamS

What about the people on the opposite side of the roundabout to you? They may not know you were originally in the right lane…

They are stopped at the lights anyway. And by the time I get to where they come on I am signalling left to come off the roundabout.

jon1973
    Free Member

Where is your green line now?

There’s one of those outside Hatton Cross station near Heathrow. Actually not as bad as they look. You just treat them a seperate roundabouts.

Kahurangi

You know where you are going, but does the traffic around you? Do the pedestrians (granted, there shouldn’t be any on your example) know what you’re doing? Does the traffic waiting in other joining road? Is that roundabout ALWAYS traffic light controlled? Most of the others for Ncl/A1 aren’t.

It’s good practice. It’s the safe thing to do. It’s how drivers are taught. You’d probably get a minor in your driving test if you didn’t.

DezB
    Free Member

GrahamS, so on a roundabout with no lights, nobody needs to know you’re turning RIGHT and not coming off the roundabout?

Last person I heard say that was my mother-in-law.

I have to concentrate hard NOT to indicate. It’s just a natural thing as part of driving.

Cougar

WRT that original diagram:

That’s not right, surely? (Well, it is, I checked, but,)

Take a look at the two green exit arrows; they’re saying you can go straight from the right-hand lane of the roundabout to the left-hand lane of the exit road? God help you there if there’s two lanes of traffic.

DezB
    Free Member

God help you there if there’s two lanes of traffic.

I think you’re supposed to actually look where you’re going. (crazy, I know!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s just a natural thing as part of driving

+1

A friend recently passed his bike test and was told NOT to indicate if there was no traffic around though – apparently it shows that you are aware of other road users.

Sounds silly to me and I can’t quite believe it is correct either.

RealMan
    Free Member

I think you’re supposed to actually look where you’re going.

You’re what???

philconsequence
    Free Member

pffft are none of you AWESOME? i bunnyhop roundabouts in my skoda

neilthewheel

A friend recently passed his bike test and was told NOT to indicate if there was no traffic around though – apparently it shows that you are aware of other road users.

My old driving instructor used to say, “indicating when there’s nobody else around is like talking to yourself. It’s the first sign of madness.”

GrahamS

You know where you are going, but does the traffic around you?

They should – there is only one way for me to go and the lane is clearly painted.

Does the traffic waiting in other joining road?

I’m coming on from the A69 (to the left of that image) and heading off on the A1(s) out the bottom of the image. The other joining roads are held at lights.

Thing is, if I did actually signal right till my exit then I might confuse cars behind me when the extra lane appears to the inside as we pass the first joining road. (at the end of the hatching about 3o’clock).

Every day I see someone move into that inside lane (which should mean they are going all the way around) then get to the Al(S) exit and sweep across two lanes to get left lane on the exit (!) then usually move back to the right lane once they are on the slip.

Is that roundabout ALWAYS traffic light controlled?

Yep (rather pointlessly – it never used to be).

GrahamS, so on a roundabout with no lights, nobody needs to know you’re turning RIGHT and not coming off the roundabout?

No I usually signal right on roundabouts. Just not this one.

It does strike me as a little redundant to signal right when you’re in the inside lane of a roundabout. I kinda think that should be assumed unless you signal left, but I suppose it shows you’ve actively thought about it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One day, I shall visit this wondrous place, and marvel at it’s beauty:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPANKRHL9HU[/video]

Cougar

My old driving instructor used to say, “indicating when there’s nobody else around is like talking to yourself. It’s the first sign of madness.”

There’s no point indicating if there’s no-one to see it; however, for the regular test you’re (generally?) taught to always use it so that you’ve less chance of forgetting.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So what happens when you are half way around a roundabout with no other cars around you (so not indicating) when suddenly one appears – in the time taken for you to react the other car has also reacted to not knowing where you are going but if you were indicating as a matter of course then the other driver would have known your intentions and decided on an appropriate course of action.

I actually tried what my friend told me just after we had discussed it and then found myself in exactly the above situation and decided it was a stupid rule.

GrahamS

Elf: I like that even the animated cars don’t understand it. Watch the confused red car at 8 seconds in.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Heh! The red car buggers off, never to be seen again. All just a bit too much for it, obviously. 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

If I indicate, but there’s nobody around to see it, do they make any light?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We have interesting roundabouts here where the lane markings are in a spiral not a circle – so you go into whatever lane you are supposed to for the exit you want and if you stay within lines you will end up going off at the right exit

think this will show it
    http://g.co/maps/a5ueb

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have interesting roundabouts her where the lane markings are in a spiral not a circle – so you go into whatever lane you are supposed to for the exit you want and if you stay within lines you will end up going off at the right exit

That makes sense to me – it is the natural way of going around a bout.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘roundabouts!’ is closed to new replies.