Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rough cost of a cnc machined part ? any ideas?
  • fisha
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a part for my car machined. its basically a block of aluminium about 100x100x25 ( mm ). The centre will need machined out to have a roughly 80mm hole through it with a 75mm diameter lip at one end. at the 4 corners, i’d need 4 bolt holes drilled. I’d quite like the outside outline profile of the block to have slight curves to it to match the shape of the part i’m bolting it to.

Does anyone have any idea of even a ball park figure of how much something like that would be?

I suppose the possibility of multiple runs of it would be possible if others want to do the same mod as I plan. … but that wouldn’t be hundreds.

Its basically one of these, but deeper.

porter_jamie

I can make you one of those, i’ll check if I have any inch plate in stock.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry nope, but if it’s a one off prototype proof of concept, and you’re not too fussed about the curvy profile, then it will be probably be a lot cheaper just to get it made by a local engineering company on a normal mill.

marcus7
    Free Member

In my experience you cost initially will be the tooling costs, if the company has to essentially design and set up the program to make it then it may be a bit pricey for what it is, material and manufacturing time is relatively low and as you point out the cost drops with volume. have you proper drawings to work from?, its worth the effort as there is less chance of “misunderstanding” what is required. in answer to your question i had a simple plate with a few hole in it made a few months back and that cost me just under £150……

richmars

I’d guess at about £200.
    Maybe try here?
    Firstcut

fisha
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I still need to get the exact dimensions sorted out, but its a good ballpark figure to start from.

Google says there is a CNC place round the corner from my work. I may pay it a visit at some point ( if its still in business ) . P_J, I may get back to you further down the line.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

If porter_jamie cant help you out i`ll knock u one out on my cnc mill £100 delivered to uk address signed for, on rushwork most of this week but could find a slot back end or earlier if you were desparate.mail me if help needed.

takisawa2

I use a place in Tamworth, they are good & don’t take the micky. Have you got a drawing / sketch you could email for a closer look ? If not done already I could knock you up a mfr drg in no time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rough cost of a cnc machined part ? any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.