Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rough budget for a nice kitchen…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Super rough brief. Just looked at 2 houses. One with tired kit separate kitchen and dining room. One with really nice kitchen knocked through, quality appliances, centre island with marbled top and sink, conservatory for the dining room.

Having never bought a kitchen or done any building work. Does £20k sound about sensible for works, conservatory and good quality kitchen.

While your here what’s a rough rule of thumb for a bathroom refresh or converting to a wet room?

jambalaya
    Free Member

How long’s a piece of string ? 😉

You could spend £20k on kitchen alone without difficulty, you can of course do something nice for much less.

Conservatory – these are rather out of vogue, we had one and wouldn’t have another – too hot in summer and too cold in winter also heating/chilling the room its attached to. They can work well depending on which way they face and view etc but many people are now doing brick extensions with large windows/skylight/atrium instead

DT78
    Free Member

Yep I said a rough brief starting from a place of knowing nothing! Research started in the last 30mins…never had any interest in kitchens before

How about post a pic of your kitchen conversion and how much it cost? Might give us some ideas on the art of the possible in case we buy a doer upper. house will be a largish 4 bed detached, 1500-2000 sq ft ish.

cb

Having just gone (still going) through this I can share ball parks figs with you.

We moved away from knocking through kitchen and utility and extending both out into garden as costs for building works seemed to have sky rocketed recently.

Kitchen units 4.5k (that was discounted via a contact)
    Appliances 4k (all Neff so cheaper is available)
    Rip out and re-fit 1.6k
    Electrics will be about 2k but includes other stuff in the house
    plastering 1k – again other rooms being done as well.
    flooring 1k (just Karndean)
    Silestone worktops with integrated sink 4k

Other bits and bobs bring it up to around 20k.

This is for U shaped one side of kitchen and 2.5m run of tall cabinets the other side. Plus 2.2m run of base units and 1.2m of tall in the utility

pictonroad

My mate budgeted 30k for his kitchen diner conversion. Quite involved with a couple of walls removed and conservatory roof altering. All us amateur experts agreed. He hasn’t had a quote under £60k.

So…

I’d get a quote, it can make quite the difference.

jimdubleyou

The only hard part of dong a kitchen is the worktop, everything else you can do yourself if budget is an issue.

br
    Free Member

The only hard part of dong a kitchen is the worktop, everything else you can do yourself if budget is an issue.

This, plus plumbing/electrics if you need anything changing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think a lot of it is down to where you live tbh, anywhere near the SE and it’s not gonna be cheap.
    In the last 2 years, I have had a 16m2 extension built onto kitchen, new magnet kitchen, new bathroom and ensuite built into master bedroom from fresh for 31k all in. Not cheap bathroom kit either, but then tradesman where I live ain’t London or Aberdeen prices.

project
    Free Member

Without any idea of location of properties, finish and spec of kitchen, flooring lighting, gas or electric, worktops, stone or laminate,size,house construction and age, brick, brick and block or wood frame etc,giving a price is like trying to guess the length of the piece of string on my kite im flying.

totalshell

no disrespect to OP but us trades folk get really frustrated by q’s like this..a nice kitchen can cost 3.5 to 35k a conny will cost 5 to 55k you can choose which ever you want but the real answer lies in having an onsite conversation with three or more tradesmen

today i was asked to quote for a new gas fire.. over the phone .. the fella didnt know what type/ style he wanted whether he even had a chimney or not but felt that he must have one and that it would be definately ok to use without any work and that the fireplace he had or had not would almost certainly have a correct sized gas supply.. and then said could i do it sunday tea time or after 4 at the earliest..

DT78
    Free Member

I did say this was a vague brief….when you start from zero knowledge about something it tends to be. Things like the helpful chap above with the breakdown (thanks by the way) starts giving me so,e bench marks in order to know what to expect.

In my situation I haven’t actually even bought the house let alone know the dimensions. I’m looking at properties that need work and trying to mentally add up how much it might all cost and budget accordingly. There appears to be little difference in actual on the market price between places which need work and those that don’t so I presume it’ll come down to the negotiations. I’m not after exact figures.

How long is a piece of string? I don’t know, but I know how you find out. You start at the begin and start measuring….

TheBrick
    Free Member

Go to kitchen show room today with dimension. Get a quote including fitting. This will not be a full quote a study need a site visit but you will get an idea of unit costs and a very rough installation cost.

Add a chunk for wall removal.

jam-bo

My sister spent ten times what I did on her kitchen. Mine was from ikea and self install, hers was hand-made by an ‘artisan’, they are both much the same size.

So, it’s not just how long is a piece of string, how good do you want that string to be. Baler twine or hand woven by virgin nuns….

timba
    Free Member

The Ikea Kitchen planner will give you an idea of what you need, folk on here might be able give you a day rate for trades in your area. You might struggle to find someone, for example, to fit just the worktop to a kitchen that you fitted, so bear that sort of unanticipated factor in mind too and you’ll get a range of costs, full DIY to fully-fitted

ebygomm
    Free Member

As others have said, prices range massively but you can make big savings if you’re prepared to DIY some of it.

We went from this

to this (Supporting wall down/kitchen units/worktops/appliances/french windows/flooring/move gas supply/new electrics)

for under £5,000

The highstreet quote we had for supply of cabinets only was £6,500 (and that was their ‘40%’ discount price)

Sundayjumper

Friends of my BiL, on viewing a house with a fairly good, recent-ish kitchen were advised to allow another £200k to take it out and do it again.

So based on that, a simple replacement will be ~10% of the price of the house. More if there’s structural work to do.

russ295
    Free Member

I supply and fit kitchens. The biggest kitchen I’ve probably done lately was a u shape 3/6/3 metres and a huge island 2.4 X 1.6. Total cost of the cabinets only (with fitting) was just over 6k. Worktops were another 6k (corian) and all the apliances were Miele (tall fridge/tall freezer/2 ovens/dw/induction hob/extractor) prob close to £20k by the time it was all totted up. But it was a huge room. The same house has just sold for £650k (new build just outside of Carlisle)

epicsteve
    Free Member

Friends of my BiL, on viewing a house with a fairly good, recent-ish kitchen were advised to allow another £200k to take it out and do it again.

Sure that doesn’t have an extra zero added? £20K would be reasonable for a decent kitchen – £200K would imply major works. My neighbours spent about £100K putting in a sizeable ground floor extension, nice kitchen and under-floor heating – so unless it was huge then £200K seems a lot just for a kitchen.

choppersquad
    Free Member

We’re in the middle of an open plan kitchen using the old kitchen, dining room and garage.
    It’s a 4 bed detatched in the SE and we’ve taken a couple of walls out and pitched a roof on the garage.
    The builders quote we had was £46k without any plumbing, electrics, kitchen, or flooring.
    I’m doing a lot of the internal stuff myself,fitting the kitchen etc, but I still reckon we’d have spent close to £50k all in. Mind you, we’ve had to replace all appliances and haven’t particularly scrimped on those.

db

We have just had a quote for 6m x 3.5m conservatory of £50k…

Get some proper quotes and go from there. But also think about the value you will add to the house doing the work vs buying a house with all the work done.

Kryton57

Literally about to have the old kitchen replaced with a new German one tomorrow. Stripped, redecorated flooring removed and replaced, minor wiring and plumbing, new ceiling LEDs, installed, stone worktops and glass splash backs £19k so far in London for a 15m2 kitchen, I’m sure a few sundries will appear over the next 2 weeks.

Just spent this afternoon moving everything and creating a temporary kitchen on the dining room, it’s amazing how much crap you store in a kitchen.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

We went to Mark Wilkinson, I nearly died £34k without appliances £54k with! The cooker was a work of art, nearly £10k on its own, a Wolf, I’d never heard of them.
    More sensibly £16k worth of units for half price ex-display from a local kitchen company, £1300 of granite worktop including an 8×4 Island top, plus new appliances off the net and a local carpenter to fit it all came in at £15k and it’s a big kitchen.
    Should add 5 years ago, cooker is now £17k but available from John Lewis.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rough budget for a nice kitchen…’ is closed to new replies.