Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rotten trailer bed. What should I replace it with?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My Ifor Williams trailer stands out in all weathers and the bed is starting to rot and wear. It currently has some sort of plywood, about 19mm thick. I have some inch thick scaffolding boards I could use, they’d certainly be durable but heavy.

What else should/could I use?

donsimon
    Free Member

geoffj

Chequer plate – may be a bit expensive though

scaredypants

marine ply ?

suppose it depends how heavy a load you’re carrying – surely you must have a massive plate steel storage tank you could chop up using a laser or sommat ?

Shorty121
    Free Member

don simon the saw dust + rain will go through which make things a lot cleaner

Stoner
    Free Member

OSB ply board is cheap and tuff. And when it goes just replace it.

grahamt1980

Would say marine ply. Osb will start to separate really fast when it gets wet

mcmoonter
    Free Member

surely you must have a massive plate steel storage tank you could chop up using a laser or sommat ?

Oh, before I cut holes in it?

It needs to be fairly strong, but then the bearers on the underside are only about a eighteen inches apart. I like the sound of the long term durability of some metal plate.

Kuco

We recently had our plant trailer redone with a resin coated plywood. I think it’s the same stuff Ifor Williams trailer use.

maccruiskeen

osb won’t last long with water trapped /standing on it

the beds of flat bed trucks (and the floors of buses etc) are phenolic ply – nearest place to mcmoonter towers that would sell it is probably Meyers timber in Bowness, typically they deal with bigger trade orders but they’ll do cash sales if you’re nice- its call and collect though, they don’t have a trade counter as such.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Nice one maccruiskeen. I will give them a call.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if you have the scaff boards then thats what i would use. they will last for ages. you dont have to worry to much about weight (i guess you have e licence)

scotsman
    Free Member

Phenolic plywood or trailer board is what you need

mcmoonter
    Free Member

you dont have to worry to much about weight (i guess you have e licence)

This was a one of trip back from the sawmill. I wouldn’t try towing this much again.

e license? Enthusiastic?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

E licence allows you to tow over 750KG MGW.

geoffj

oneoneoneone – Member
    POSTED 15 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

And was standard issue if you took your test before 1997(?) IIRC.
    Pisses the young uns right off, as they have to take an additional test 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

That will be me then!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got my license way before then.

My local timber merchant stocks the Phenolic ply. £50 a sheet. I’ll probably need three. 😯

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Wisadeck/ Koski Board

Standard issue for plant body builders. You can get it in 18mm 8′ x 4′ sheets and is durable and strong. We use loads of it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

oneoneoneone – Member

Not quite true.

maccruiskeen

My local timber merchant stocks the Phenolic ply. £50 a sheet. I’ll probably need three.

Theres phenolic and phenolic – see what Meyers have, from memory they’ve three or four ply types with phenolic facings – birch, hardwood, gaboon (marine type), poplar, etc so prices should vary a bit. Mind you you wouldn’t get much change out of £40/sheet for regular plywood.

If there is plenty of support, and the loads are well spread then another option is Stokboard – sheets of recycled plastic, not very stiff, but very durable and it doesn’t rot. Might get it from horsey/farmy type suppliers

Service Metals over in Cumbernauld sell the various bits and bobs for building truck bodies and will have flooring materials too (under transport products – look under ‘f’ for floor planks and ‘t’ for timber floors

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rotten trailer bed. What should I replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.