Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rotor cranks
  • DT78
    Free Member

Not seen these cranks in the flesh, how do they compare to the big manufacturers?

Why do people pick them over the usual suspects, they don’t seem particularly light?

I’m mostly interested in the road versions but mtb versions look the same

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Can’t speak about the road versions but I fitted a set of the Rex 1.1 cranks to my bike last week.
    I’ve not had a chance to get out on it yet so can’t really comment too much. Initial thoughts are that they seem to be very well made but slightly heavier than the XX1 cranks they replaced.
    The matt finish looks pretty good but only time will tell how well it holds up to general wear and tear.

The Q-rings I quite like, I had one fitted to the XX1 cranks and it seemed to work well.

aa
    Free Member

I like them, in real life they’re very pretty. Subjective, i know but Imo theyre nice. A bike shop manager friend of mine has a pair on one of his bikes, he likes them. Not super amazing like, say, the cannondale cranks but light enough, stiff enough and not silly money.

DanW
    Free Member

I bought Rotor (3D) because they are light enough (you only start to get significantly lighter cranks when in to FSA K-Force/ Cannondale SI territory), super stiff, were cheaper than XTR and the usual suspects and better also looking than XTR etc for my build. Basically I wanted XTR fit and forget performance but cheaper and with better aesthetics which they delivered. Still going strong after many years and look new with some crankskins applied from day one.

njee20
    Free Member

Not looked recently, but 3Ds used to be a chunk lighter than Shimano of a few years back. Cheaper too, comparably.

crazy-legs

I’ve got the Rotor 3D+ cranks on my CX bike.
    Main reason for getting them was that I wanted a 34/48 chainset and there was nothing available off the shelf so I got those cranks and Middleburn rings.

They’re about as light as you can get without spending silly money, they look cool, they’re plenty stiff enough and it’ll be easy/cheap to swap the rings when they wear out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got some rotor 3D with a Power2max. I’ve not really given them a second thought since putting them. They look good too. If I was more bothered about weight I’d have just gone for the + ones. Handy that you can change the spider for a P2M too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lOOK LIKE OVERPRICED 90S CRAP ANY TIME i’VE LOOKED.

Damn caps lock.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m looking at them because of the p2m offer… Debating if it is worth the extra cost for rotor cranks and rings over just a sram stages.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Reckon if you have a chainset already that Stages do a NDS for, that you want to keep using, and aren’t fussed about the left/right thing, and are prepared to risk the QC issues, then just get the Stages.

You don’t need specific Rotor rings for the Rotor chainset, any with the right BCD would do (got some 105 on mine at the moment.) Though P2M have stopped doing the 4 bolt spider apparently.

Think you don’t see many of them because they aren’t that widely available, probably nowhere near the discounts of SRAM and Shimano of OEM, and you don’t get the same level of aftermarket discounting either.

lOOK LIKE OVERPRICED 90S CRAP ANY TIME i’VE LOOKED.

Styling may be a bit divisive, I like it. Overpriced, compared to heavily discounted SRAM/Shimano, probably. I’d still buy another one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have them on the roadie. I rate them. Very stiff, well made, nice finish, bit different.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rotor cranks’ is closed to new replies.