Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rotherham riders? Offroad access along river/canal up to Swinton/Mexborough?
  • midlifecrashes

Want to head from Sheffield to Doncaster off road.

Sheff to Rotherham seems ok on 5 weirs or the other loop. Mexborough Pastures I can pick up the Transpennine trail in to Doncaster. I could loop north from Sheffield to Chapeltown on NCN6? to where it meets TransPennine near Elsecar. If it’s possible though I’d like to follow the river. Any ideas? Or alternative low traffic routes. Thanks.

midlifecrashes

Bit late for an evening bump, but that’s what it is.

reedspeed
    Free Member

You can get from Mexbrough behind the earth centre head upto towards Sprotbrough go through Steetley quarry,to the hair pin bend,the dons on ya left all the way,then,pick up the trail under the motorway bridge on the a1m at warmsworth,then onto the Ridge,you can go down the old lines ,or follow it down the side of the Don & the canal onto the north bridge in Donny !.

Then where dya wanna end up ?.

midlifecrashes

It’s the bit through from the stadium area right through to Swinton. Is the canal tow path or riverside passable these days? I tried about twenty years ago but the steelworks at Aldwarke fence came right down to the bank and you couldn’t get through, similarly I think it was blocked by scrapyards or something on the other bank. Would just be nice to be able to follow the water.

reedspeed
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t know,ya could be right,as there’s been loads of re-development ,Parkgate-Kilnhirst-Swinton etc so can’t really help,besides I try to keep away from there if I can !..

antigee

bump can’t give a definitive answer – used to live below Wharncliffe and would regularly ride up to Silkstone thru the woods and on mostly quiet roads and then out beyond Doncaster on the TPT

though not in area keep up to date (sort of) cycling issues and recalled this

http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/11/14/closure-of-sheffield-canal-towpath-safe-cycling-compromised/

which is a long term closure of canal route to east of Rotherham

hope someone local can suggest a good compromise route

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rotherham riders? Offroad access along river/canal up to Swinton/Mexborough?’ is closed to new replies.