Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rotating base for a raised decked area?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Is this at all possible? We have a very odd-shaped north-facing garden and the sun comes in diagonally. We want to maximise the sunlight when we can and are looking at getting one of these. To get the best of the sun shining straight into it would mean positioning it at roughly 30deg from the fence behind which would look really odd so I was thinking about creating a base for it which we could just spin slightly to point into the sun when we are using it, then spin back into it’s normal position when it isn’t being used.

Has anyone done anything like that? Any ideas on what we could use as a base?

Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

Save up for one of these or go into JL and see how it works 🙂

mm link not working

T1000
    Free Member

If it was on a turntable a platform on a slew ring bearing would be the best option but they are v£££

If you need it to be on a turntable you could make a platform with a vehicle hub in the centre and outer support wheels

If it’s a platform that you want to swing around 30 degrees the us a vehicle hub at the pivot point and wheels at the far ends

Using a hub of a trailer would be an easy option as you could bolt it to a base and use the wheel bolt holes to fix to the platform

johndoh
    Free Member

Save up for or go into JL and see how it works

I actually saw one of those in John Lewis down in London a couple of years ago and loved it – I still have the photograph on my phone for inspiration 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

hang it on a rope, can swing all ways then? 😉

db

Can’t you just mount the bed thing on wheels and push it around?

khani
    Free Member

Get a children’s roundabout and take off the handholds,

lesgrandepotato

I have one for my sundial thus facilitating its use as a stop watch

stumpy01

That JL ball thing – they’ve had them for sale in the Peterborough store for a couple of years.
    It looks much better in the pic than in the flesh…not worth £8k in my opinion…

I’d be tempted to make something myself using something like a car hub for rotation, with some supporting roller outriggers.

The last Shed Of The Year show had an entire summer house that rotated!

antigee
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rotating base for a raised decked area?’ is closed to new replies.