Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rostrevor or Castlewellan?
  • Kip

We’re in the North visiting in-laws in Belfast and have a full day to ride as Kip Jr is being looked after by Granny.

Is the longer drive to Rostrevor worth it or are we better of with the shorter drive to Castlewellan. We don’t mind the extra miles if it’s worth it.

We are handy enough on bikes and confident on most of what the Welsh trail centres have as well as Scottish centres.

Info and advice appreciated please.

benson330
    Free Member

Not that I have, but couldn’t you do both? Having ridden Rostrevor a couple of times it’s not very technical, but there’s a good hour of climbing out of the car park. Do that trail in the morning, grab lunch, drop into Castlewellan on the way home (you’ll be driving past it anyway)
    Part of Castlewellan is closed for tree felling so would be shorter than usual?
    Sorry that’s not very informative, just a suggestion!

Kip

Benson330 cheers, not a bad idea. An hour though, Afan climbing or Llandegla climbing? Also,how long does it take to get there from south side of Belfast? Talking to the relatives you’d think it was the moon!

johnhe

It’s about an hour and 15mins – 1hr 30 mins to rostrevor from Belfast, and thoroughly work every minute!

Kip

Rostrevor it is then, perhaps with a call into Castlewellan on the way back, or we may save that for Tuesday!

FactoryPhil

Rostrevor is a good spin out, the first fire road climb will get you prepared for the rest of it. Can’t compare to any Welsh trail centres as I haven’t been to any yet. The forecast is good for tomorrow so you’ll love it. Fast and flowing for a lot of it. As Benson 330 says, Castlewellan has some of the trails closed due to felling so it would probably be less than a hours riding for you. Enjoy your ride…

xlaire
    Free Member

Totally agree what has been said above. We did the black trail in Rostrevor before lunch and nipped over to Castlewellan after. Castlewellan was okay, but now that I’ve done it I wouldn’t go back. Rostrevor was way more fun and there’s a lot more riding there.

Dogsby

Kip, did you manage to get to Rostrevor and what did you think? I was down there today and it was marvellous; great weather, great trails and some really good people out.

Dogsby

Kip

Sorry guys missed the posts on this.

Rostrevor was great fun, big warm up slog but worth it. Swoopy and lots of chances to hone my air time! Highly recommended!

Castlewellan was also fun although loads was closed due to tree fungus, with more closures due, but this may be all done now. John at Life was great to chat to and gave loads of tips on how to get the best from the trails.

Again swoopy and fun with a bit of a sting in the tail that has apparently led to a few broken collarbones!

I think I preferred Rostrevor but in fairness we didn’t get to ride all of Castlewellan.

fudge9202
    Free Member

We locals call that slog “heartbreak hill” but worth it for the downs, I ride both and Rostrevor is better IMHO. Castwellan is a great run for fitness your never off the cranks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rostrevor or Castlewellan?’ is closed to new replies.