Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Rose – why?
  • mudmuncher

Misses is a teacher and often ends up with bottles of rose as gifts at the end of the year.

We’ve just ran out of booze and have had to crack open one of these. Probably the 3rd or 4th time I’ve had to drink the stuff and every time it’s been absolutely disgusting.

Am I missing something, or just been unlucky? I like red and white wine, but mixed together it just doesn’t work.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a perfume.

😆

garage-dweller

There are some brilliant rose’s but there are loads of sugary cloying ones.

We had one or two nice bottles last summer around the £8 mark but the really good ones (mostly had at someone else’s expense) seem to be north of that price.

I’d take a crisp white over a rose nearly every time.

RustySpanner

Son in law works for a company that imports Portuguese wine.

You’re drinking the wrong stuff, honestly.

I’ve no interest in wine these days, but I’ve tried a few crackers recently.

I can ask him for some recommendations if you like?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rose.

Rosé.

HTH.

orangespyderman

Rosé wine is red grapes pressed rather than macerated. That means, if the winemaker wants, they can get away with putting much more crap in the mix than red grapes for red wine because they’re pressed. Find a good rosé wine maker and they’ll take as much care ensuring stalks, branches, leaves and rotten grapes don’t get in and you’ll find some very pleasant rosé wines…

Rubber_Buccaneer

There are some brilliant rose’s but there are loads of sugary cloying ones

This.

igm

Nice rosé, cold poached salmon, creme fraiche, dill and cold boiled new potatoes.

Mmmm

mudmuncher

CaptainFH, yes I know but no accent “e” on an iPhone.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

no accent “e” on an iPhone.

Press and hold e, then slide across and select the correct accent. é in this case.

johndoh
    Free Member

Rosé is always better than white – white is bitter . But red always wins.

mudmuncher

Press and hold e, then select the correct accent. é in this case.

Thanks, at least I’ve learnt something tonight!

GrahamS

Insipid pish for people that don’t like the taste of proper winé.

jekkyl

it’s all booze and it’s free! Quit yer moaning and get it down yer neck.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Rosé is probably my favourite wine type. LP, Hattingley and Cottonworth fizz, and then all sorts of lovely Provençal stuff.

Chilled, quaff, enjoy!

It’s a close call with a good claret, mind you.

ElShalimo

A slightly chilled Pinot Noir is lovely on a hot day, or served with fish.
    Much better than crap rosé which sadly seems the be the standard quality

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A slightly chilled Pinot Noir

Try a chilled Fleurie if you like that sort of thing. Which you should.

funkmasterp

I honestly thought you were getting the Roses chocolates, but in bottles instead of those cardboard containers.

Carry on

ElShalimo

Never liked Fleurie, very thin for my unsophisticated palate.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Why, if you find it “absolutely disgusting”, would you drink it “3 or 4” times? Bizarre, and possibly alcoholic, behaviour! 😉

edhornby

there is a lot of crap rosé out there but some good stuff, however even when I have the good stuff I find myself thinking I’d rather have white – just personal preference

alt+0233

fleurie is great, if you ever drop on a bottle of ‘la madone’ then clear the shelves

frankconway

Good to see Flashy encouraging the correct use of accents; this is STW – no syntactical inexactitude, loose lexicography or grammatical slackness here.

As for lightly chilled reds I would extend Flashy’s Fleurie recommendation to encompass most/all beaujolais.

😆

frankconway

Just to add, if you like something different and chilled…..

ORANGE & PINK Bottle
    Le Coste ‘Bianchetto’ | 2015 | Procanico, Malvasia & Moscato | Lazio, Italy £35.00/£8.50
    Rose water and citrus on the nose, then just pure, mouthwatering juice. We’ll forgive you if you ditch the glass and go straight from the bottle

J.Mourat | 2015 | Fiefs Vendéens | Loire, France £23.00/5.85
    A refreshing rosé of Cabernet Franc & Pinot Noir from a small, forgotten part of the Loire.

From The Reliance in Leeds; I strongly endorse the Orange – hic……….

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Q?ért?üîœpåßdfghjkl?žxçvbñm'”1234567890-\:;()£?§@…,¿¡’'”

Learn something everyday on STW

Three_Fish
    Free Member

rose’s but

Sounds delicious.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Rosé is always better than white – white is bitter . But red always wins.

GrahamS – Member
    Insipid pish for people that don’t like the taste of proper winé.

The STW wine club is making bold claims again 😉
    Come back when you have tried a decent bottle

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Another whine thread 😉

mudmuncher

Why, if you find it “absolutely disgusting”, would you drink it “3 or 4” times? Bizarre, and possibly alcoholic, behaviour!

That’s 3 or 4 bottles in my lifetime. We’d had a nice bottle of white and had that ‘just need another glass’ feeling so had to crack open the rosé. Optimistically hoped I’d just been unlucky with the previous bottles but this one was as bad as ever.

martinhutch

Just tell your missus to adjust the curriculum a bit. Instead of boring science or maths, perhaps she could have a mini-Sommelier lesson in which the correct pairings of food and wine are discussed and her preference for a good Barolo mentioned repeatedly.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Add some bubbles with a SodaStream and pretend you’re drinking Pink Champagne.

Sorted.

Serve with Pickled Onion Monster Munch for the ultimate treat. And for dessert maybe a Funny Feet ice cream.

spooky_b329

Mudmuncher, you’re doing it wrong. You are meant to ‘regift’ the Rosé to the next recipient and continue the tradition.

It’s like the sickly dessert wine in my cupboard…except I don’t have anyone I’d risk giving it to incase they thought it was a serious gift 😉

nickhit3
    Free Member

My wife is from Nice-also a teacher who receives booze gifts-, and was practically brought up on Rosé. It’s all most adults drink in the South Of France- and I’m more than happy to extend a Scottish hand for a glass when I’m there. For me it was my ‘gateway’ wine as someone who previously didn’t drink much wine. The selections in most French supermarkets of Rosé alone is staggering. And those that claim you’re drinking the wrong stuff are correct. The paler the better is my rule of thumb. Great stuff even in Aldi these days. It’s best drunk with ice cubes too. Free your minds ppl- there’s a whole world out there…

Houns

Mmmm LP pink fizz

Houns’ special pop

Hic

DezB
    Free Member

Is cos she is a woman. It’ll either be Rosé or Cava.

falkirk-mark

it’s all booze and it’s free! Quit yer moaning and get some quality beer and tell yer mrs to get it down her neck.

FTFY

woody74

Always go for a Rose from the south of France and you will be sorted. Far nicer than white wine but it has to be very dry. The sweet stuff is like alcopops

unklehomered
    Free Member

It’ll either be Rosé or Cava

I’m surprised she isn;t being inundated with bottom of the range Prosecco.

For me a half decent cava would be a win, if never get offered prosecco again it will be too soon.

mogrim

A nice crisp rosé from Rioja works, too. Although I do prefer Verdejo. Avoid anything that says “semi-sweet” on the bottle, there’s nothing “semi” about it.

binners

CaptainFlashheart – Member

A slightly chilled Pinot Noir

Try a chilled Fleurie if you like that sort of thing. Which you should.

Give this one a go Flashy. Bloody lovely chilled! On the top of the cap is printed ‘yes, it’s meant to be in the fridge’ 😀

igm

Tarrango – haven’t had that in years. I have fond recolllections though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Rose – why?’ is closed to new replies.