Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rooting a desire – idiots guide required
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

My HTC desire is doing the usual “short on memory” thing, as far as i can see the only route (No pun intended) is to root it and get rid of facebook etc.

i need an idiot – how to guide, hints and tips, plus what rom to use. Can i use android 2.3? or even android 3?

foxman
    Free Member

also interested in this

scaredypants
    jeffl

If you’re running 2.2 or above you can move apps to SD. I’d imagine you’d be running at least 2.2. HTC also have a standard release of 2.3 so you don’t have to root. You say you want to root it but I assume that’s to run a custom ROM. If so choose a ROM and google for details on how to root and instal it. Loads of YouTube clips out there. Cyanogen mod would be a good starter for 10.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i know you can move apps to sd but its the unmoveable ones that cause the problems like facebook for htc sense (11mb)

Pieface

How do you restore apps from SD?

Why not just re-install the unmovable ones? It won’t take long over wi-fi

rob-jackson
    Free Member

??
    I don’t want one son my phone that are stuck there. The ones on the sd card are fine, thats where most should be as the deisre has a tiny internal memory.
    I comes with certain software that i don’t want e.g. 11mb facebook!!

Cougar

You can uninstall the updates to Facebook, it’ll free up the used memory.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Biggest problem with the Desire is its internal memory storage.
    Rooting then using apps2sd+ is a fantastic solution.

The link posted above to Modaco is a great resource and a good starting point if you want to start getting in to custom ROMs.
    You also have the benefit of a mature rooting guide now. When I had my Desire it was a proper hassle to root it.

There are a load of ROMs out there, I haven’t been following the Desire scene so not sure if Gingerbread is available yet. The Modaco roms are usually a good, safe and stable bet.
    If you head over the xda-developers site there are loads more and its another great resource but also typically a little more technical.

alexpalacefan

Is it just me that thought “rooting a desire” sounded rude?

APF

hammyuk
    Free Member

xdadeveloper.org is a bloody good place for everything HTC.

Cougar

Just looked at the Modaco link. It’s a very old guide.

When I did mine, I used Unrevoked. Seems it’s still the preferred method.

There’s a collection of documents on Android Forums which tell you everything you need to know. This is a good starting point – it’s a lot to read, but it’ll arm you with what you need to know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rooting a desire – idiots guide required’ is closed to new replies.