Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Root Canal filling, how painful?
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Got an emergency dental appointment tomorrow to sort an abscess on a new filling. I will be going on my lunch and returning to work afterwards.
    Looks like I will need a root canal treatment, so is my afternoon scuppered? First root canal so not sure what to expect plus I have zero pain threshold. 😥

sturmeyarcher

Modern dental anesthetics are good, I didn’t feel a thing when I had a root canal. You’ll be a bit numb after but should be OK with work after…unless you’re a news reader or something.

theotherjonv

done properly – no pain, and compared to an abscess on a filling 😯

Done badly……..

Cougar

I had one, I was bricking it for days and it was fine. I’ve written about it before, I’ll see if I can find the previous thread.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

As above, the procedure isn’t that pleasant, but it’s better than an abscess.

I had no pain after, and I might have if I’d have gone with my first plan, which was pliers and rum.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I`ll tell you about mine tomorrow.

ossify

I’d always heard that root canals are really painful, plus I’m terrified of the dentist at the best of times 😛

However, I was in the chair when he decided I needed an emergency root canal doing… he just turned up the gas & air and went for it! No injection 😯

It was painless and really nothing to worry about at all.
    Hope yours is as easy and this helps you feel better about it

The creepy bit is when he sticks a red-hot poky thing* into the hole, the hiss and smoke coming out of your mouth is a bit disconcerting…

*technical term

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Yes I am bricking it. We moved house earlier in the year so I had a filling replaced by my old dentist as I knew I would be placed on a waiting list in the new area. Unfortunately our new dentist hasn’t taken us on yet. The new filling has caused the issues 🙁

enfht
    Free Member

I fell asleep during mine, honestly!

Began to snore and woke up to a pretty dental nurse looking down at me giggling. Sadly she’s not the only woman to have done this..

Yak

Not painful, but a hassle. It took a few lunchtime visits for the whole procedure including the crown at the end.

Mostly it was really expensive as I wasn’t registered at a nhs dentist at the time.

woody74

Not painful when I had mine last year. I was really surprised how quick it was. Tooth did ache on and off for quite a few months later. Had a few follow up checks but nothing untoward and just took time to settle down.

jamj1974

Pain wasn’t an issue when I had one. Don’t worry too much!

nickc

It shouldn’t be painful. It might be uncomfortable though. have some pain relief ready for when the anaesthetic wears off just in case…

cinnamon_girl

Would suggest carrying out some research, pain is the least of your worries.

homer

My first was like a scene from marathon man, moved dentist. The 2nd I nearly fell asleep.

xico
    Free Member

From my experience you would be better off opting for an immediate extraction, which you will require in a very short time anyway despite your root canal treatment! Sorry, but that was what happened to me!

retro83
    Free Member

My tooth was extremely tender before the procedure so the part where they grind that down was not pleasant. The relief afterwards was worth its weight in gold (as apparently was the crown..!)

dovebiker

I’ve had 3 done, all pretty painless. I even had one done without anaesthetic as the dentist didn’t realise the nerve wasn’t dead and as he stuck the reamer in and hoiked it out – I did flinch a touch and the dentist did comment that I must have a pretty good pain threshold!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d rather have a root canal treatment than the 3 week wait for a root canal treatment. That’s the bit I’m not looking forward to.

Ewan
    Free Member

I had one a few years ago. Procedure was not painful tho unpleasant as the dentists drill thing ran out of battery half way through. He then yelled at the nurse until she cried…

Then it was a bit sore for a day. Then it changed to be the worse pain I’ve ever had (and I’ve had various horrid things done to me). I couldn’t sleep for four days or so. Started hallucinating. So not a great experience.

I’m sure it’ll be fine tho!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

It’s fine, wouldn’t have them done for fun mind, but nothing to worry about. Worse part is the jaw ache from having to hold you’re mouth open for 45 minutes while someone pokes & prods around you in it. However dependent on circumstance you might be better with an extraction as the tooth becomes brittle when it’s dead and can end up costing you a fortune. I’ve had 2 root canals done, after about 5 years both teeth snapped so then had crowns fitted. At one time or another both crowns have come loose or come out, eventually to be told they can’t be refitted any more times and I’d have to get bridge work done. At that point before spending £300 on each one I cut my loses as I reckon each tooth had already cost me at least £500 since started by the course of work. Just get it sipped outfor £50 and use the cash you’ll undoubtedly spend in future on shiny bike bits now!

cheers_drive

Not painful but it’s a long time to have you mouth open. That said it failed within a year as the infection was painful

chewkw
    Free Member

No pain at all.

Haze

Had one a couple of years ago. No pain whatsoever, was close to nodding off at one stage.

cinnamon_girl

Root canals are a potential cause of dental toxicity. Briefly when the nerve is killed the blood supply of the surrounding tissues is compromised thus making them prone to infection. As infection occurs in these dental tissues, the toxins released from the infective agents may cause a variety of medical illnesses. Also check out osteonecrosis of the jaw.

Having had several root canals done I would never have had them done due to what I know now. I’ve had a tooth removed in preference to root canal treatment but only cos it was hidden. In fact I would prefer to have dental implants rather than root canal treatment, unfortunately due to metal sensitivity this is not possible.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of my back teeth done, was fine. A billion times better than dodgy teeth, don’t remember any pain, pressure of the drilling, aye, but no pain. I always thought the crown would feel different after, but they just feel like normal teeth.

seosamh77
    Free Member

which you will require in a very short time anyway despite your root canal treatment!

I got my crowns 4/5 years ago, still feel brand new..

LadyGresley
    Free Member

“The nerve’s dead, you won’t feel a thing”. I think the fact that there were two nurses holding me down proved that to be a lie.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Take some music – its bloody boring (sorry)

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve had it done and re-done a few years later because the first time hadn’t worked.
    No anaesthetic at all because the tooth was dead.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, I’m half way through my 3wk wait to have it done and things seem to get getting better on their own. What are the chances that I no longer need a root canal treatment?

mintimperial

What are the chances that I no longer need a root canal treatment?

You might get away with it for a bit, but I had a similar thing with one of mine and what happened was a low-level infection just sat under the tooth for a couple of years, niggling away and pissing me off occasionally, until I had to have the whole thing pulled when it flared up again. Then I got dry-socket, which is definitely in my top-five of Bloody Painful Things I’ve Experienced.

Probably best to get it sorted. As most people are saying, the procedure isn’t actively fun, but it doesn’t normally hurt at all.

ceepers

What are the chances that I no longer need a root canal treatment?

None! It doesn’t really work like that!

100% guaranteed the pain will return.

It will be worse the second time.

It will most likely be at a time when it’s hard to see a dentist (weekend / xmas – Sod’s law!)

Your dentist will not give you much sympathy because you didn’t come back to get it sorted properly when they gave you the chance!

momo

Jaw ache was the worst bit for me, the actual root canal was fine and a pre-course of antibiotics had already knocked out the infection which caused the pain.

My crown fell out earlier this year and I had to have it refixed, other than that I’ve had absolutely no bother in the 6 years since it was first done.

mattyfez

Mine was fine, no pain to speak of at all, during and after root canal – I suppose it depends on the dentist.

Although I did take 2 regualar ibruprofens twice a day for a few days after as there was some very minor discomfort which thay took care of.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Root Canal filling, how painful?’ is closed to new replies.