Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rooster chain line problems
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

So my Singular Rooster is nearly built but the chain line is causing massive problems.

I’m trying the run 2×11 but the chain is rubbing on the rear tyre in the biggest 3 cassette rings when in the smallest ring upfront!

It isn’t possible to move the crank any further out as there are already 2 spacers on the drive side.

Anyone got any work arounds or ideas please?

wwaswas

Can you just move the whole EBB insert across to the right a few mm?

or does that give crank arm/stay clearance issues on the non-drive side?

scotroutes

Fit a set of Boost cranks? That would gain you 3mm at the crank.

teacake
    Free Member

Square taper.

Clobber
    Free Member

Give Sam an email, he is very helpful

Clobber
    Free Member

Are you running a proper 2x chainset or 3x chainset with a granny, middle and a bash?

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

It’s a proper Shimano M8000 crank which is a 2 ring crank.

Few mm won’t cut it unfortunately so moving the EBB across a few mm won’t make a real difference.

Not really keen to fit a boost crank as have just paid out £125 for the M8000 one which has been fitted so can’t really be returned. Also not sure that 3mm is going to be enough to stop any rubbing and sucking (oh er) when riding!

Does anyone who is running a double upfront care to share which tyres they are using as I know different makes and models come up differently on size and I’m running 29×3 Knards so possibly switching to a different one might help 😕

wwaswas

have you asked on the UK Fat FB page – there’s a lot people on there who know plus a number of shops that post up. Think you need to get approval before you can post:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/260838637377100/

tootallpaul

On my longitude I used a Surly OD crank- its a proper offset crank, and solved the problem perfectly.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Didn’t even know that existed but have sent a request to join cheers 🙂

wwaswas

sent a request to join

*approved*

🙂

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Cheers

TheNorthernMonkey
    Free Member

Cant help out w chainline issues – but do you mind telling me when you got your frame?
    I got mine via the Kickstarter launch for complete build, and I’M STILL WAITING!!!
    Getting seriously pissed off with Sam – despite many emails and calls, still no sign of bike.

myopic
    Free Member

Hey FLRB, I had similar problems with the first chainset I planned to use (SRAMX9 on 2×10). Same issue with Knards and Chronicles. Switched to an old 2×10 SLX and bash and same problem. Pondered 1×10 with extender cog but with the hills round me just didn’t seem viable so opted for a new 2×10 SLX which with Knards is fine in all gears on big ring and fine in all except largest rear cog in small ring when it buzzes the tyre. Rotating the BB backwards so the crank axle was at 9 o’clock helped.
    I can get by with this and think I may get all gears with Chronicle fitted as at a glance when I tried them both a while back the Chronicle was a wee bit smaller.
    Thought about edging BB out a few mm, but that seemed like an unattractive solution. I’ve never used the smallest cog at the back so I’m thinking about using that as a spacer behind the big cop on the cassette to step all the gears over one if I get to the stage where I really need that bottom gear. Not sure if this would work and doesn’t sound like it would solve your problem completely – maybe 2×11 is just a cog too far…

NM – that’s odd, I have always found Sam really responsive. Are your calls and emails all recent or over an extended period? Maybe he was just out of office last week. Anyway he keeps an eye on these threads so I would expect he will get in touch with you directly after your post.

myopic
    Free Member

Hey FLRB, I had similar problems with the first chainset I planned to use (SRAMX9 on 2×10). Same issue with Knards and Chronicles. Switched to an old 2×10 SLX and bash and same problem. Pondered 1×10 with extender cog but with the hills round me just didn’t seem viable so opted for a new 2×10 SLX which with Knards is fine in all gears on big ring and fine in all except largest rear cog in small ring when it buzzes the tyre. Rotating the BB backwards so the crank axle was at 9 o’clock helped.
    I can get by with this and think I may get all gears with Chronicle fitted as at a glance when I tried them both a while back the Chronicle was a wee bit smaller.
    Thought about edging BB out a few mm, but that seemed like an unattractive solution. I’ve never used the smallest cog at the back so I’m thinking about using that as a spacer behind the big cop on the cassette to step all the gears over one if I get to the stage where I really need that bottom gear. Not sure if this would work and doesn’t sound like it would solve your problem completely – maybe 2×11 is just a cog too far…

NM – that’s odd, I have always found Sam really responsive. Are your calls and emails all recent or over an extended period? Maybe he was just out of office last week. Anyway he keeps an eye on these threads so I would expect he will get in touch with you directly after your post.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Cheers for the info myopic. I have come to the conclusion that 2×11 is indeed a cog too far! Most of the time I’ll be fine with 1×11 and when I’m not I’ll just have to MTFU and get on with it 😆

NM I must say I’m really surprised to hear this. I got my frame over a month ago now and have bought 4 frames from Sam in the past. On every occasions he has been a pleasure to deal with and responded swiftly (24-48 hours) to any emails I have sent. Are you sure you have the correct email address?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rooster chain line problems’ is closed to new replies.