Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Roof repairs how much?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

My ex has had a quote from the council for roof repairs but it comes in at 12 grand .This is to erect scaffold and remove tiles and replace felt and battens and any damaged bearers and new facia and soffits.Also redo a 15ft by 9ft flat roof .Is this price good cos it seem a lot to me?

hooja
    Free Member

depending on the size of the roof and where you are in the country, sounds ok to me. Scaffold alone these days is very expensive due to silly insurance premiums. Down here to strip replace and repair a single slate roof you would be paying at least that if not more.
    Get a decent independent builder in to give you a quote, id do it if you were close by

highclimber
    Free Member

sounds expensive to me! someone I know had an entire roof reslated battened and felted for marginally less than that!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Sounds like a bleedin fortune to me. Why were the council quoting?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Where abouts is the property .?

If its near me I can get it done for a lot cheaper

(I think your near me .?)

Mail me if you like

Edric64
    Free Member

In Somerset , Shepton Mallet .3 bed 1960s mid terrace .The council are arranging a low cost loan and apprently use approved contractors .I have not seen the quote yet just going on what the ex told me.Its my house but I dont live there anymore my ex lives in it with my son mortgage is still in both our names but she has paid it for the last year

wwaswas

I wonder if an inflated price is paying for the cheap loan?

I’d get a couple if independent quotes, tbh

singlecrack
    Free Member

What’s actually wrong with the roof ?

(I’m in S/M also)

Edric64
    Free Member

Some damp has got into the attic which is used as a room .You can see damp patches on the ceiling as if it has dripped in and run along rafters.Ive not been ther for nearly a year but it was on my to do list.You could hear drips when it rained .I thought the ridge needed repointing and maybe some other repairs but didnt envisage the whole of the tiles coming off ,but then im not a roofer

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I’m in Bristol. Small Victorian mid terrace and got quoted c£5k including VAT to replace everything other than the wood. No flat roof though.

So 12 seems disproportionately high to me

singlecrack
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be a bit of overkill to rip the whole roof off for a leek …..but then I havn’t seen it so difficult to diagnose the problem .

Edric64
    Free Member

Flat roof to be done as well in this price .I will ask the ex if I can get some other quotes in case theses guys are taking the piss because she is getting a loan off the council

sugdenr
    Free Member

I was quoted 5k just outside london by council contractors for new roof. flat roof should be iro 1.5 to 2k I would guess.

rickmeister

Maybe TJ will be along in a moment to share his experience of council driven schemes in Edinburgh which has proved very controvertial …

I would get some recommendations from trusted friends, if its been lie that for a year, little bit more time may save you thousands….

robhughes
    Free Member

12 grand…Bloody ell.
    You’ve got to be joking right.
    That’s way of the mark that price.
    Your only doing a re-felt and batten using existing tile.?
    Some timber work and a small flat roof.?
    We are going full refurbs on houses all the time and i can honestly say that even with the complications that may occur(it,s only timber)
    you should really not be paying any more than about £4000.
    Saying that i could have that lot done for about £2500 as we have a roofing firm who does all our work.
    Don’t firms just love to rip the public off though…

tomaso
    Free Member

Mate had roof on a big victorian semi completely overhauled with quite a bit of rot removed, rebuilt chimney, loads of insualtion, new felt, barge boards, dormers etc and he paid £15K – I thought that was steep.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Didn’t they give you a complete cost breakdown so you know exactly where all that money is supposed to be going? I live in another country but 12K seems very high to me. I paid just over 12K for a complete new roof including insulation and new roof windows. The overwhelming share of the cost was taken up with the raw materials.

street
    Free Member

Thats obscenely expensive! I paid £2.5k to have my entire roof stripped, some of the damp jack rafters replaced, new battens, new felt underlay and all new tiles and flashing. That was on a 1960s 3 bed semi.

I got 3 quotes in and they ranged from £3k to £4k, I went with the £3k company and paid in cash and they knocked it down to £2.5k.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Roof repairs how much?’ is closed to new replies.