Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof Racks
  • specmatt
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice and experience really. I have taken the plunge and brought some roof bars for my car, however I’m a little confused about roof cycle carrier to get.

It must be easy to use, secure and lockable. This initially leads me to the thule 598 which seems to fit the bill, however having a Canyon Spectral the lines for the reverb and front mech run down the top of the downtube and would make me a little uneasy clamping over the top of them. I have also seen the thule fork mount carriers but these don’t seem to be lockable. Lastly slightly worried about the thule carrier which clamps the side of the frame as it is significantly cheaper and I’m unsure why!

Any had a similar dilemma?

Cheers,

Matt

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No problems clamping over lines. The jaws of the 591 are soft and compliant (i.e. 598). I also put tape beneath the lines to protect them rubbing into the frame and underneath the downtime where the 591 jaws contact there. I have to replace the tape reasonably frequently, but not a major problem. Far better than the solution others use where they jam a rag between the jaws and the frame.

garage-dweller

Quick hijack as just looking for some new ones myself.

Do the 598/591 racks rattle like a caffeine overdosed rattlesnake? My Halfords “advanced” ones sound like they are self destructing even when properly done up. Makes for some nervous journies (or i have to turn the radio up). 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My 591’s don’t rattle at all, you wouldn’t know the bikes are up there but for a bit of wind noise. I’ve had 4 30+lb AM bikes up there on 591’s for a 2hr run down the Motorway for weekend riding in wales and no issues with any. Not that it matters how many are on the roof at the same time, but if there were an issue with them rattling then there would be 4 times the chance of it happening.

whytesky
    Free Member

Most roof carriers on the market are locabke. However, I really really really wouldn’t rely on the locks. I only use the lock to ensure the quick release lever doesn’t ping open on its own (highly unlikely but we’re a paranoid bunch when we have our pride and joy on the roof).

I once lost the key to the lock barrel and managed to open it in just a few seconds. If you really must leave your bike unattended make sure you have an alternative, more secure way of locking it up.

tillydog
    Free Member

Secure in the sense of the bikes not falling off, or secure in the sense of thief-proof?

591 is OK in the first sense, doesn’t rattle or anything and is quick and convenient to use.

I can’t believe any of them are much cop in the second sense:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yu4vEsD9WA[/video]

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those Thule 565’s as a traditional downtube clamp one doesn’t work on my bike due to cable routing much like the OP.

Be careful though as on my medium 29’er FS the rear wheel cradle is only about 2″ from the end of the carrier, the wheel base is 1149mm so if you’re bike is very long it may not fit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roof Racks’ is closed to new replies.